• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about 1893 Columbian Grading...

15 posts in this topic

While looking around at various sites I came across an 1893 Columbian Half Commemorative. Right off the bat the "look" of the coin was much different than I'm used to seeing. It looked "PL". Sure enough it is graded as "PL" and slabbed in an NGC slab.

Since I managed to retain my dual-citizenship I also checked over there and see that they do not designate any Colombian Commems as "PL" or "DMPL"

The coin certainly appears to have the characteristics that I've come to be familiar with on "PL" Morgans.

I'd like to find out more about what criteria is required for the PL type grades but don't know where to look, any help?

Also, does anybody know the reason why PCGS wouldn't offer the PL designation and NGC does?

What type of % premium would a "PL" designation bring of a "Non-PL" coin of the same grade on the Columbian Commems?

Hope all this is ok to ask??????

Thanks,

Richard

I don't know all the answers to your questions but I know it they are OK to ask! smile.gif

Many different denomonations in the 2'nd half of the 1800s were struck with frosty devices and reflective fields. Some look very much like a proof coin. I'd pay a bit of a premium for a Columbian but I've seen several around and am not sure how much of a premium is deserved.

Texasrichard, I can provide you with a bit of real life information...

Earlier this year I bought an NGC MS66 1892 Columbian for $800, whereas I paid $1300 for an NGC MS66PL example. The Columbian is one of a small number of classic silver commemorative issues that can be obtained with PL surfaces. Others include: Isabella Quarter, Boone, New Rochelle, Rhode Island, Texas and BTW. There are probably a couple of other isolated pieces too. The Isabella, Columbian and New Rochelle are typically the ones with the most reflective/impressive prooflike surfaces.

I believe it is simply a policy decision that accounts for NGC's using the PL designation for commems (and type coins), while PCGS chooses not to.

Generally speaking, the more easily the coin can be located with PL surfaces, realtive to their non-PL's counterparts, the smaller the premium will be.

That's an awesome looking 1893 Columbian...

MarkFeld...one question, maybe you can answer/comment and thanks for the additional comments about the other commems...

Are we to assume that the coin shown was probably struck with new dies or a finely tuned planchet or a combination of both or perhaps other to create a coin as such?

That's an awesome looking 1893 Columbian...

MarkFeld...one question, maybe you can answer/comment and thanks for the additional comments about the other commems...

Are we to assume that the coin shown was probably struck with new dies or a finely tuned planchet or a combination of both or perhaps other to create a coin as such?

I can't assume any of those possibilities, but my guess is the new dies you mentioned. juggle.gif

According to their Census Report, NGC has recognized many PL Columbian's (356 in all grades combined for the 1892 and 180 for the 1893) and and even a few DPL's. If I did the math right, those numbers represent approximately 7.6% and 3.8%, of the respective NGC populations for the Columbian's.

What grade is on the NGC holder?

Mozin,

I think I read a post that you were involved in I found in the archives next door. There is some great reading there about the Columbian proofs and PL's. If I remember right, your somewhat of an expert on these and as such would appreciate your opinion on this coin at the slabbed grade. Hopefully if its good nobody will beat me to the mouse to buy it 893naughty-thumb.gifsmile.gif

Here is the slab shot...

40201893columbusobv.jpg

I was stunned to see that this example only made it to a 62, can't be from the strike cuz what I see in the close ups, Columbus's hair by his jaw has all the hairlines. With weaker struck coins, the hair in this area will just sort of fade into a blob. On the reverse, all the lines in the sails are nice and strong...so there must be some hits, nicks and/or bagmarks that brings the grade down.

All in all, I still thinks it is a fine example for a 1893.

Put your finger on the trigger...pause, hold your breath...squeeze thumbsup2.gif

This 1892 NGC MS65 has PL Surfaces under the toning but dose no have the PL Designation...

colu_1992_WEB.jpg

What do you think...

Should I dip it and try for a MS66PL... 893whatthe.gif

Why don't you just send me this one and then you can feel free to hunt for a PL specimen all you want.

Chris smile.gif