• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SLQ's

26 posts in this topic

ok, ok..enough of the PCGS controversy...let's talk coins...anyone out there interested in SLQ's, quite possibly the most beautiful silver coin produced...a very tough series in high grades, but quite attainable in lower grades..who collects them out there? Show us some examples, and how you go about grading them, if raw. Thanks...scr

I have yet to add SLQs to my type collection, but I have recently started looking. I only have space for two of the three varieties in my Dansco Album, though, so one of them would have to live apart from the rest of the coins.

-Amanda

I only collect them by type. I think that the Type I SLQ is a beautiful coin. I'm much less impressed with the two minor types that followed.

When I'm buying them in Mint State, the first place I look is on the knee. If there is a rub there, I don't consider the coin to be Mint State. You would be surprised how many pieces are out there that have rub on the knee and are in MS-63 holders.

As for the head, I avoid pieces that have marks there, even if the coin does not have a full head and even if the marks can only be seen with a 10X . The problem is everyone who knows what they are doing looks at the head very closely, and for that reason marks in that area can make the coin hard to sell.

I think too much emphasis is put on the head. I’ve seen pieces with decent heads that had poor detail in the gown and shield. Still, some SLQ buyers expect too much of these coins. Some think they should get full struck coins on ALL aspects when it says “full head.” The truth is almost all SLQs have some weakness somewhere on the coin. It’s the nature of the beast and compromises must be made unless you are very wealthy and very patient.

I have all three varieties in my type set, but I don't collect them by year. I agree they are a very beautiful coin design. All three of my type set SLQ's are MS and I look at the shield, knee, and head.

Type I 1917 MS64FH PCGS

1372.jpg1372R.jpg

Type II 1924-D MS66 NGC

1373.jpg1373R.jpg

type III 1930 MS65FH NGC

1327.jpg1327R.jpg

I like them, but I don't like those FH/NFH thingy which is quite confusing to me and that makes me stay away from this series. Of course, the price for 1916 also makes me give up collecting them by date and mm too wink.gif

Just a thought: The 1916-dated pieces are of a different design than 1917-T1, so collectors really have 4 versions: 1916, 1917-T1, covered bust/raised eagle and recessed date. The 1916 and 1917-T1 were released at the same time in January 1917.

Get a copy of "Renaissance of American Coinage 1916-1921" if you want to know how the SLQs were designed and first produced.

Attractive coins that were posted, one and all. I particularly like the AU58 and MS64FH Type 1 examples.

For those of us that are ignorant, what are the diagnostics of the Type III that seperate them from the normal Type II?

The knee is also the area that I concentrate on first since there are quite a few coins in mid-grade MS holders that show a flattening of this area. Here is the only one that I have an image of-

H1917DN66FH.jpg

H1917DN66FHR.jpg

Nice coins Mike and Tom! 893applaud-thumb.gif

1916-type 1

bare breast 1917-2

chain mail breast-3

recessed date-4

This according to J.Cline, the definitive expert of this series

Thank you for your help, but for those of us that are incompetent is this how I'm supposed to read this?...

1916-type 1 bare breast,

1917-2 chain mail breast,

3: recessed date,

4?

EDITED TO ADD: Obviously I'm well aware of the type 1 bare breast to chain mail type 2 switch... it is this type 3 and now type 4 I'm unaware of.

i believe it should just be

1916- variety 1 exposed breast;

1917- variety 1 and variety 2 covered breast;

1925 on - is recessed date.

edited to add variety 2 also resulted in stars being added below eagle

I do not know what the forth variety would be.

Type 1: 1916

Type 2: 1917 exposed breast (typically grouped with the 1916 in discussions of type and in albums; the 1916 and 1917 coins with exposed breast are somewhat different in design)

Type 3: 1917-1924 chain-mail breast cover

Type 4: 1925-1930 recessed date (the dates on this series wore away extraordinarily fast and were recessed in 1925)

The knee is also the area that I concentrate on first since there are quite a few coins in mid-grade MS holders that show a flattening of this area. Here is the only one that I have an image of-

H1917DN66FH.jpg

H1917DN66FHR.jpg

Tom when I opened the post.. I was just waiting to see that beauty! Thanks for showing it again.

Attractive coins that were posted, one and all. I particularly like the AU58 and MS64FH Type 1 examples.

For those of us that are ignorant, what are the diagnostics of the Type III that seperate them from the normal Type II?

Buy a 1916 SLQ as a type coin? Please, there are enough expensive coins in a type set already with out adding that one to the list.

If you get that detailed about type coins there are loads of other pieces that you have to add. For example the 1854 three dollar gold piece, the two minor type of Trade Dollars and 1838 and '39 $10 gold pieces to name a few.

SCR - your 1927-S is my "screen saver" !!!

I've attemped to post images of my SLQ's - and lately, I've been a dismal failure, please excuse me - but here's one of my favorites:

Its in a PCGS 66 FH holder; anyone think it'll upgrade ???

See attached link ^

1528226-1928DPCGS66FHobv.jpg.b8949da653c002d77d3e816cea40e1c2.jpg

Kind of hard to see all the details from the pic..but it is a beautiful none-the-less..maybe some of the experts can weigh in with their thoughts...who knows,it might look great in a 67 holder...good luck...scr