• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ANACS Defines a 3rd Part of PL Reflectivity.

Should NGC and PCGS add UDM to their vocabulary?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Should NGC and PCGS add UDM to their vocabulary?

21 posts in this topic

From www.ANACS.com:

Talking Silver Dollars

A very small percentage of Morgan dollars were struck with mirror surfaces on both sides of the coin. Generally speaking, the deeper the mirrors, the more the coin is worth.

The best way to gauge the depth of mirrors on a given business strike Morgan is to hold a business card directly above the coin’s surface. If you can read standard sized printing in the fields holding the card two to four inches away from the coin, ANACS will grade that coin PROOFLIKE (PL). If you hold the card four to six inches above the coin and you can still read the standard sized printing, ANACS will give that coin the DEEP MIRROR PROOFLIKE superlative, also known as DMPL. Those mirrors with 12 or more inches of reflectivity in the fields on both sides of the coin will be designated as ULTRA DEEP MIRROR (UDM) by ANACS.

Currently, ANACS is the only major certification service that utilizes the Ultra Deep Mirror superlative (UDM). As of the most recent population report, ANACS had encapsulated only 437 Morgan Dollars in the grade of MS-64 UDM. All dates combined, only 160 had been certified as MS-65 UDM. Five years accounted for the majority of the 160 graded as MS-65 UDM and include 1884-CC (41), 1883-CC (31), 1885-O (15), 1880-S (12), and the 1882-CC (11). A survey of Internet sales indicated that most of the coins graded by ANACS with these dates and mintmarks were trading at $800-$2000 each, depending on the date of the coin.

I think NGC and PCGS should do the same. Do you?

Just what we need... another gimmic for the TPG!

I would rather see the grading services expand their variety grading.

Scott hi.gif

It's not a new gimmick. ANACS has used this designation for a long time. I have a 84-O Dbl Die Obv in UDM that was slabbed around 10 years ago.

NGC will give such coins a * (STAR) in addition to the DPL. I think that is somewhat inadequate; the STAR it can be confusing since there are multiple reasons why any particular coin might receive one. You really have to know the coin series to know why you got a star.

It is a bit more convoluted than that: exceptional eye appeal is not the only reason for a star...in fact, decidedly ugly coins can get a star if they have stronger cameo or PL luster on the obverse than the reverse. Thus, eye appeal is no longer the concern in such cases. Rather it is exceptional characteristics, however, that's realy just splitting hairs.

The overall point is that a STAR DPL Morgan isn't necessarily an Ultra DPL Morgan, it might also be a simply beautiful Morgan, a rainbow toned Morgan, or even a DPL with just an Ultra DPL obverse, etc. You would have to see every STAR DPL Morgan to determine how many of them got the STAR for Ultra DPL luster. Thus, the STAR is a bit imprecise in this case.

Overall, I love the STAR designation, though!

UDM is 12+ inches.

http://www.funtopics.com/fun_topics_v44n4_campbell.html

This is the one I own:

1885UDM.jpg

A little light on the frost but the mirrors are incredibly deep. Way more than 12 inches... a true "headlight" coin.

Dude,,thats insane....Thats the deepest Mirror I have ever seen.....I think that the Mirrors give The appearance of a lite frost.....It almost looks like a fake...

Did you submit this coin?

Can you get a tighter shot of Ms Liberty's profile?

Edited to add, The article you linked is Excellent thumbsup2.gif

Thanks, I like it quite a bit myself.

Need to setup my tripod, copy holder and lights for a close-up... but here are a couple "in-hand" videos for now. Format is Apple QuickTime.

http://4crito.com/video/headlight.mov (typical room, low light level, overhead flourescents)

http://4crito.com/video/udm.mov (in front of a window at noon)

Warning: first file is over 7 megs and second is over 5 megs! So don't click the links if you're on dialup. wink.gif

Warning: first file is over 7 megs and second is over 5 megs! So don't click the links if you're on dialup. wink.gif

Go ahead and click it....The coin has mirrors that I didn't think existed on ms Morgans.Awesome coin hail.gif