• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: World
6 6

2,325 posts in this topic

The Hogmouth Thaler is about 47mm in diameter. It's huge.

It's a really odd combination of a crude planchet with an exquisite design. The hair and the eagle feathers have incredible detail which is hard to get across even in an image this big.

It's not quite round. It's not quite the same thickness all the way across.

Another member here, "coinsarefun", has an almost identical Hogmouth Thaler. The die cracks on the obverse...the glob under the "H" on the reverse...absolutely identical! That's pretty cool!

Just bought two more proofs and one piedfort proof :) its just an individual release of the new pound in the new set.. but I got them anyway !

UK08MDSP_1.jpg

UK08MDPF_1.jpg

RareSov-Neat items! I suspected your enthusiasm couldn't be dampened

even by the onset of a depression or the Apocalypse!

My modest goals include a medal or two that no one has messed with for a

century or two. Like coins and tokens, it seems the urge to rub, wipe, clean or

even scour these things is so powerful that even medals neatly housed in dusty

leather boxes are not immune! So it is with an upswelling of hope that I purchased

this Victorian medal, not just for the veiled bust, but for a look that just might

indicate it's dirtiness has been ignored all these years. My fingers are crossed.

(Seller's picture)

Sunday20Schools20Anniversary.jpg

No recession for Australia says the World Monetary Council (or whatever they are called)

US headed for deeper hole. Other currencies to hurt as well. So I'm not too worried.. short to medium term I am still buying gold coins and interesting/quality mint issues

"No recession for Australia says the World Monetary Council (or whatever they are called) US headed for deeper hole."

This is what I've heard as well. But the currency relationships have me baffled.

Maybe I'll actually be able to win something in a Noble Aus. sale!

Austrailian vs US dollar

3m.png

the more I look at that medal Yarm--I noticed something,

the reverse wreath is IDENTICAL to the wreath on a US 3 cent nickel...but since your Victorian medal is dated 1842 and our 3 cent piece started in 1865, I'd guess that the 3 cent nickel designer may have plagarized the design....hmmmm hm

nevermind, the more I studied it there are slight differences, especially the double looped bow

Edited by jackson64

One of the deficiencies of Brown's British Historical Medals is that not all medals are illustrated.

So if you're interested in a particular design, you might not know for sure which medal has it until you stumble across one.

I was interested in the veiled bust of Victoria by the Wyons which appears on several Canadian medals, but hadn't

come across a nice one. Then this Sunday School medal came up for sale with what I think is the identical bust.

But until I receive it I won't know for sure.

AN30406834-oz.jpg

I am told the weak AUD is to do with a few things, such as the USD apparently gaining strength. There is some confidence back and the 1.53 or so ratio is now 1.4 and could be back to where it was before the bailout talks, soon. All of this has happened very suddenly and amidst the panic, which is now subsiding

I don't know how long it will take, but I am quietly confident we will see 1:1 ratio of AU to US dollar within a couple of years if not sooner.

2008 Belarus 10 rubles: Great White Egret

Composition: 0.925 Silver

Weight: 16.81 g

Strike: Proof

Diameter: 32.00 mm

Issue Limit: 5,000

Issued by: National Bank of the Republic of Belarus

B0004-775v.jpg

Edited by pendragon1998

This just arrived this afternoon from Latvia. Another addition to my Music and Musicians collection. This one commemorates Latvian Folksongs. Coin is copper/nickel, 30mm in diameter issued in 2008.

latviaob2.jpg

latviarev2.jpg

RI AL

I went hard today, the new issues are available and here they are

6 coin UNC set

802370_crtv_large.jpg

2 coin UNC set

802880_crtv_large.jpg

6 coin PROOF set

803300_crtv_large.jpg

2 coin PROOF set

803370_crtv_large.jpg

I am pretty impressed by these ! got two of each, plus a couple of extra 6 coin UNC sets

hello,

i have a POPEJOHNPAUL II 2001 $20 SILVER REPUBLIC OF LIBERIA

proof coin that all the reverse letters are double stamped (offset enough to be able

to be seen with bare eye) . i don't think they minted many of these coins and when i bought it i asked the guy i bought it from if he had or knew of any more of double stamped coins and he was not aware of any and he told me he purchased almost every coin that was minted of this coin. so i'm wondering how valuable this coin is and how many others there are if any you know of.

thank you.

js30225

hello,i have a POPEJOHNPAUL II 2001 $20 SILVER REPUBLIC OF LIBERIA proof coin that all the reverse letters are double stamped (offset enough to be able to be seen with bare eye) . i don't think they minted many of these coins and when i bought it i asked the guy i bought it from if he had or knew of any more of double stamped coins and he was not aware of any and he told me he purchased almost every coin that was minted of this coin. so i'm wondering how valuable this coin is and how many others there are if any you know of.thank you.js30225 

Here are some fairly scarce coins I acquired at a recent public auction. They are on the way back from NGC. All are from South Africa.

1944 Shilling NGC AU-58, It is the only coin in the combined NGC and PCGS census.

1946 Shilling NGC AU-50 scarce.

1947 Shilling NGC MS-63 rare date and grade

1944 2 Shillings NGC MS-62 scarce

1945 2 Shillings NGC AU-58 scarce

1946 2 1/2 Shillings NGC AU-55 rare date and grade

js30225. I am looking at a picture of the Pope 2001 Proof in the "World Coins" catalog and I see no evidence of obvious doubling on the reverse. Interestingly, there are no mintage statistics for the coin listed, so it would be interesting to know how many your seller bought, if he bought nearly all of them. As far as value, in my humble opinion, I believe that you may have an interesting error, but I would imagine that the market for your coin would be very small, requiring a very specialized collector indeed. A fun piece to own, but I don't think it is a rare treasure. :(

RI AL

In 1854, the Crystal Palace Exhibition moved to Sydenham, England. John Pinches produced

beautifully designed medals in bronze and white metal as souvenirs of the event. The larger (63 mm) size

was also used as a prize in silver and other metals during the remainder of the 19th century.

I was pleased to find this cased silver prize medal awarded in 1893.

1893CrystalPalace0000331.jpg

Edited by yarm

This arrived in today's mail. In hand it looks much better then the sellers pics and is highly reflective. It was the plate coin for this token in R. C. Bell's book Political and Commemorative Pieces Simulating Tradesmen's Tokens 1770-1802 , page 22.

Middlesex National Series D&H 201 in white-metal.

MiddlesexNationalDH201LG.jpg