• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: World
6 6

2,325 posts in this topic

First...some big WOWS are in order for yarm's George III 1799...and that Russian rouble is a jaw dropper...speaking of the Russian coin...I have noticed that it is difficult to acquire coins from certain countries like Russia, Ukraine...and this one from Laos...

The coin is a bit milky and I might have returned it except that I don't often run across sailing ship coins from Asia.....here's pics of the coin...

PLEASE:..any help on methods to get rid of milkiness?...does that sonic-cleaning work and is it worth purchasing one??

55448-MVC-931S.JPG.308893600810f7be7e7342455392b6d4.JPG

55449-MVC-932S.JPG.5fc7681283eb6e9e4314fc636b7e167f.JPG

One of the reasons I like prooflikes is the very different look of the coin or token depending on the way it's illuminated.

Here's a Conder token photographed head-on and at a slight angle.

MergedBuckinghamshire24.jpg

MergedBuckinghamshire243.jpg

Good evening, All.

I am kind of in the middle of receiving a bunch of new music coins from my recent, brief spending spree. I don't want to bore you all :P, but would be happy to post some of my favorite new additions if anyone would like to see them.

Have a good weekend, everyone.

RI AL

One of the reasons I like prooflikes is the very different look of the coin or token depending on the way it's illuminated.

Here's a Conder token photographed head-on and at a slight angle.

MergedBuckinghamshire24.jpg

MergedBuckinghamshire243.jpg

Dang, they are beautiful!!

The Proof Like is awesome.

Spink, founded 1666, invoiced me for this "farthing" and even included an old auction ticket describing it that way as well.

What do I know, I've been around for less than a century!

Edited: RI AL, this token/medal is considered a Conder token and was issued at the end of the 18th century when official coinage was scarce. They usually come in the intended metal, silver. I favored this copper version just because it was in good shape.

MergedAngusshire2.jpg

Edited by yarm

I'm curious. What is the significance of "Dundee Silver Medal, price 1 shilling"? Not being a token collector, my knowledge is nonexistant, but I sure can appreciate their beauty and history.

RI AL

Well, another "gaping hole" has been filled. I have been on the hunt for this set of 2 coins for about 3 years. They arrived yesterday so I can cross another entry off of the list. Man...that's a good feeling.

puccinio001.jpg

puccinir.jpg

RI AL

Gee...not much activity here of late so I figured I would bore you with another "music related" coin. This arrived from China yesterday. I have made major strides in the past month or so, with additions of approximately 20 new coins to the music collection. Of course, all of this prompted an order for more Eagle holders and pages and I had to graduate to 2 notebooks instead of the original 1. Now the hunting begins in earnest for some more of the harder to find pieces.

For you Early British collectors...Heritage has a few pieces in their current online auction that are worth taking a look at. HRCG.com.

RI AL

boliviao.jpg

boliviar.jpg

RI AL- I hope you're not ignoring the medals! There's some interesting ones out there including this 69mm bronze by Maurice Delannoy.

P2240031_2.jpg

P2240032_2.jpg

Good evenin', Yarn.

No, I certainly don't WANT to ignore the music medals. They are on my "project list" for my next life...unless I come back as a squid or something....I actually started my VERY mini collection when my wife and I visited Rome. I stumbled into the shop of a minter of gorgeous, large bronze and silver medals with a variety of themes, including composers. I could only afford 1 back then when we were teaching in Belgrade, but I kick myself frequently for not bringing more Yugoslav dinars (or U.S. dollars) on that Rome trip. Those medals were gorgeous (and dollars were sought after commodities...goodness how times change)!

From time to time I check out e-Bay and truly, there are so many beautiful music related medals there, many far more artistic that the coins in my music collection. But....next life.

Your medal is super. I believe the music on it is from the first movement of Schubert's "Unfinished Symphony"...which eventually got finished by one of Schubert's students. Poor Schubert, had rather poor timing when he croaked before finishing the work...

Then another respondant suggested Music Condor tokens. I have been doing a casual search as Handel, as in George Frederic Handel of "Hallalujah" fame appears on some. Another column in the next life list.

RI AL

Love the color on that sixpence!

Here's my latest addition to my MS69 Silver Britannia set - a 2003: a coin that I've been looking to acquire for almost two years. I'm now down to the last three: 1998, 2007, and 2008. I've got the placeholders of the 1998 in NGC PF68 and the 2007 in NGC PF69UCAM, but I want the trio in MS69.

2003 NGC MS69 Silver Britannia

brit-2003ms-775.jpg

My latest acquisition from the Royal Canadian Mint---the limited edition 8 coin 2008 proof set with the bi-metalic Samuel Champlain Commem...took over 2 months to get here but I scored before they ran out...

56930-MVC-768S.JPG.955c7759c7b00f71183d704a6eb23db4.JPG

56931-MVC-771S.JPG.c101113d6203769178d4eee039c23e6a.JPG

56932-MVC-772S.JPG.5b6edd3d3d02318b4c2c814071fb3ccb.JPG

56933-MVC-773S.JPG.74f05f532019ac18c90a77a9445dee75.JPG

Nice looking set there, ZAR.

I got this in the mail yesterday. Another music coin goal is crossed off of the list. This set commemorates Guiseppe Verdi, Italian composer of opera (ugh) fame. Having a heck of a time finding a Tonga KM 160, however.

RI AL

Italyverdi.jpg

ooooops....the blob on Verdi isn't acne...there's crud on the scanner

hey rial...if you decide to break up the set to remove the Verdi coin, I wouldn't mind having dibs on the coin that is 3rd from the top on the far left...I believe it has sailing ships on the reverse?

E. Badderley must have done something special in 1876 to be awarded this frosted

silver medal of almost 3 ounces encased in a silver ring and glass lunettes. Despite

the "encapsulation", some toning has developed around the edges, particularly on the obverse.

Maybe this is what we have to look forward to with NGC and PCGS holders in a hundred years or so!

Merged1876Medal.jpg

hey rial...if you decide to break up the set to remove the Verdi coin, I wouldn't mind having dibs on the coin that is 3rd from the top on the far left...I believe it has sailing ships on the reverse?

Hi Jackson i have one of those 500L with a lovely golden mint tone to the obverse dated 1958 i was going to put it away to let it continue to to tone .. so if it is any good to you i am sure we could come to a arrangement.. IE. help me fill some modern coins in my danscos 2008 dimes etc.. all the best dooly

PS it has 3 sailing ships on the reverse

Edited by dooly

Jackson64.

Thanks for the interest in the Italy coin. I keep sets intact so I'm sorry that I can't offer you the coin that interests you. :(

RI AL

My 3 newest acquisitions for my Sailing Ship themed collection...from North Korea and Maldives........I LOVE the turtle ship coin-too cool...have wanted one for a while but only the gold version ever appeared ( at almost $2K)...so when this one became available I jumped on it...

57251-MVC-777S.JPG.d8da1f008ee9710eca2fafe74ac64409.JPG

57252-MVC-778S.JPG.dd39482be9fee4ef4eab9e4280d90520.JPG

57253-MVC-779S.JPG.9b7de422d9e231d28781a4db02f3436d.JPG

57254-MVC-780S.JPG.a47f10ba32e81375f2156781ecffa41e.JPG

57255-MVC-781S.JPG.860ba8f43b71bf96ee154aa0d1a0183c.JPG

Hey, Jackson. Nice "ship" additions! keep those pictures coming.

My latest addition to my music collection is attached. It came yesterday. Franz Schubert was another of those long haired classical composer/pee-an-o players from the 1800's. I'm not sure what link he had with the Isle of Man, but I guess that what makes the collecting interesting. It's kind of like Richard Wagner and Tonga. Why Tonga issues a Wagner coin (sadly, the favorite composer of Hitler) makes no sense either...and that's what makes it fun. Still looking for the Tonga coin, but this Isle of Man coin is yet another off the ever GROWING list of "needs". Apparently, many countries have figured out that there are a lot of suckers (ooooops...I mean collectors) of music related coins. I just found listings for about 1/2 dozen recent issues for the Sydney, Australia Opera House. BUMMER! I'll never finish THIS set!!

RI AL

schubertobv.jpg

schubertrev.jpg

Thomas Spence issued tokens during the 1790's that expoused his political views.

This one shows how a fellow who wandered too close to the docks might be

"recruited" to serve on a ship. The reverse symbolizes the beginning of oppression

with Cain's slaying of Abel.

MergedMiddlesex735.jpg

wonderful token again Yarm, don't know where you find those but that is wonderful and I would have added it to my set just for the topic...another great music coin Rial--I definately know what you mean when refering to your Tonga/Wagner coin...I have several ship coins from landlocked countries...???...I have 2 different from San Marino--check it out on a map sometime...and my Gold Mongolian coin with a ship...

my moms side of family is big in the "church" , my mom was a nun when younger (her mom made her : ( ) 3 of her brothers are "fathers" priests. and i like the art :)