• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Certification Number or Date and Mintmark?

Should NGC list the certification number or the date and mintmark of coins on a set's main screen?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Should NGC list the certification number or the date and mintmark of coins on a set's main screen?

10 posts in this topic

I was looking at some sets in the complete type set Registry and was struck by the fact that NGC insists on listing the certification number of coins in the sets and not the date and mintmark of the coins. Does anyone know why that is? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I don't like it, I think it is a fairly useless piece of information for most purposes and believe that the date and mintmark of the coin in question should be listed instead.

In some sets, people include neither pictures nor descriptions of their coins. So, if I want to find out anything about the coin that they have in their set I have to click open their link. This is not a big deal, but, there is little joy in seeing simply the date and an otherwise worthless screen. 893frustrated.gif You will notice that I wrote coin and not slab since there are bits of information about the slab on the screen.

So, what's the reasoning behind listing the certification number and not the coin's date and mintmark? Does anyone have any ideas?

So, what's the reasoning behind listing the certification number and not the coin's date and mintmark? Does anyone have any ideas?

Why not post this question in Ask NGC? People who actually had something to do with setting up the registry are far more likely to have the [correct] answer.

Only the date and mintmark should be shown. I've never understood why they show the cert number. I would think that people would prefer them not to show the cert number.

As Beijim points out, this is a good question for Ask NGC and that is exactly where it will also be posted; I simply had neither the time nor energy to do so last night.

Aside from that, I want the opinions of others to be seen and read, not just of myself and NGC. That is the main reason that this thread is in this forum.

I posted this thread in the Ask NGC forum and then a few days ago asked a question in that forum as to how it was going as far as progress on this was concerned. Since the Ask NGC forum is moderated, my question will not appear until a moderator releases it. I would think that such an innocent question would be released immediately, however, after a few days lag I am beginning to think that it will be ignored. So...

Has there been any progress resolving this issue in the last six months? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The last two questions I asked over there took a LONG time to get answered. However, they did answer them via PM and apologized for the long wait.