• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Pleasant 81 Proof Set Surprise

2 posts in this topic

I have been accummulating some proof and mint sets to fill in the later years of JFK, Linc, Jeff, Roosie and Washington sets. It's a sort of "do it as I have time" project.

So at this late hour, I am cracking open sets and filling in the blanks.

I get to the 1981 set (the 81, 82 & 83 are a b*st*rd to get open), and lo and behold a very pristine SBA dollar and Lincoln set are proudly displaying a clear, as opposed to filled "S".

Now, I have a significant investment in this set, as it set me back a full $6.00.

The RedBook shows $180.00 for the SBA and $50.00 for the Linclon in Proof 65, which is a very generous underestimation in my opinion.

Would it be worth grading these two?

Yes, grade them. These are a cherrypicker's dream sets: 1979 and 1981 clear S proof sets. I've seen a number of '81 Type 1 SBA's misidentified as T2 in dealer shops! One really must get familiar with the varieties - the top serif on the S is the key.

Hoot