• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hey NGC! - Jefferson nickels of 1939

3 posts in this topic

A couple of years ago the different reverses of the 1939 Jefferson nickels were noted in the registry and assigned different point values. The different reverses are the reverse of 1938 and the reverse of 1939, and these represent distinct subtypes of the series. Indeed, every Jefferson nickel collector I know who's the least bit serious about the series avidly collects these subtypes.

At the time that these subtypes were recognized in the registry, Dave Lange contacted me to get a feel for their proportions for the various issues: 1939, 1939-D, and 1939-S, each the reverse of 1938 and the reverse of 1940. That provided, they were assigned the respective point values.

Since that time, I've asked Dave several times about the addition of the subtypes to the registry set (in the front-end), and he assured me that this request had been passed on to the current manager of the registry sets. My hope was that this explicitly needed change would have appeared long ago. Unfortunately, it has not.

So, I'm posting this thread in hopes that whom-so-ever may be managing the registries will pay attention to this and make the appropriate changes to the Jefferson nickel registries. Since all of the back-end work has been done (the scores are fully propagated), and since both NGC and PCGS recognize the subtypes routinely, this should be a snap!

Thanks, and I hope to see the changes soon.

Hoot