• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please tell me what you think about this 1889 Morgan (big pics)

11 posts in this topic

Here is another coin from my early collecting years. It's got a sepia color that pleases my eye, although I find it a bit dark for my tastes. There is some rose/pink toning, as well as a green color that is bothering me. I'm not sure if the green is PVC or natural toning, as I'm still learning about both. If I had to guess, I would guess toning, but tell me what y'all think. There are unfortunately some minor abasions on the rim and the star at 9 o'clock that penetrate the toning, but I expect to have this coin for years, so I hope one day it will be retoned.

As for grade, I'll let you give me your opinions. I'm not an expert on this series, so I'm unsure if I'm seeing wear or weak strike in the hair above her ear. The coin is perhaps a bit lighter than the photo, but not by much. Critique my evolving photography if you'd care to as well. I wouldn't mind guesses at price, though it's not for sale. Have fun, and tell me what y'all think!

1322794-1889comp.jpg

1322794-1889comp.jpg.4ff3218e46f0a077907af8b2dafd691e.jpg

Might be the scan, but I see what looks like light cleaning....may just be the image. My guess is MS but with cleaning under the tone and a potential BB.

I really like the reverse...something about it just works for me

This is the kind of coin for which I think the straight MS-60 grade was invented.

James

Would you mind elaborating for my education? I'm thinking it's because of those rim hits, no?

I think it IS unc, but it's dull, lackluster, seems to be dipped, and seems to have retoned poorly, not to mention the various nicks and such. In short, it's an "ugly" unc. This is not to disparage the coin, but if I were buying it, I'd want it for no more than the minimum amount of unc money possible, and that means MS-60.

Make any sense?

James