• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stupid ebay question

10 posts in this topic

I've never sold on ebay before. How do you set up your ads? I'm confortable with html editing - do you just put the auction listing in html format (e.g. tables, formatting, etc) and go from there? Does ebay host images, or must you host them yourself? I'm thinking of selling some low-dollar stuff, so I want to keep ebay costs down.

Thanks, and sorry it's such a idjit question foreheadslap.gif

eBay is pretty user-friendly when it comes to selling an item. You just fill out their preset tables, and off you go! You upload the images from your computer, fill in starting price, reserve, etc. and sell!

Very easy to use...just follow the prompts and you should have no problem getting an ad posted. They will host you images and you can upload them directly from your hard drive. There are many options so the prices can be different. The standard is, first image is free, then 15 cents each after. You can also have a gallery image which is the one that shows up on the search page.

If you plan to accept paypal, do yourself a favor and get a registered account with them. Otherwise, buyer wont be able to use credit card funded paypal accounts...which is how most people use paypal. Also, if not paypal, offer some other way of accepting credit cards. I have found that most people that buy on ebay just want to win their auction, make instant payment, and get their item ASAP. Some folks still prefer dealing in checks and MO's - especially some folks that buy high value coins (to keep things anonymous).

Ebay is fairly simple to use...you can just you plain old text...no need for HTML coding. The editor is similar to MS word or equivelant text editor.

You may want to start with a low price item just to get an idea of how to navigate the selling part of the site. Let us know how it works out. Feel free to IM any questions. Im not power seller, but I have hosted many auctions for about as long as EBay has been around.

I've never sold on ebay before. How do you set up your ads? I'm confortable with html editing - do you just put the auction listing in html format (e.g. tables, formatting, etc) and go from there? Does ebay host images, or must you host them yourself? I'm thinking of selling some low-dollar stuff, so I want to keep ebay costs down.

Thanks, and sorry it's such a idjit question foreheadslap.gif

ebay provides a desktop tool FREE. Simply download TurboLister. Easy and works great.

Regis

It's your choice to create your own HTML and/or host your own images. I think ebay allows you to upload one for free and after that they are 15 cents each. So...it's generally a good idea to just combine the obverse and the reverse with image editing software and just upload that one image.

I too am familiar with HTML but I don't bother. I really wouldn't bother unless I was going to be selling items frequently. For the odd coin, I think just upload and go with the ebay template.

The standard eBay template will suit the average person just fine,however if you list a lot of coins or would prefer to list as many pictures as you want using your own hosting service (and not having to pay eBay fees) a custom template is a good way to go...

ebay provides a desktop tool FREE. Simply download TurboLister. Easy and works great.

I like turbo lister too, good time saver, thumbsup2.gif

even if you don't put up many listings, like me.

Also,

If you're selling an NGC certified coin, there is a point in the wizard where you can enter the slab number, and ebay automatically knows the grade, type of coin, year, mint, etc... they're plugged-in to the NGC database.

Also,

If you're selling an NGC certified coin, there is a point in the wizard where you can enter the slab number, and ebay automatically knows the grade, type of coin, year, mint, etc... they're plugged-in to the NGC database.

I did not Know that...good info.

I like turbo lister too, good time saver, thumbsup2.gif

even if you don't put up many listings, like me.

I totally agree with turbo lister! I like it.I use HTML and we host our own pictures.