• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wanna grade another Walking Liberty Half?

18 posts in this topic

I recently took this photo and since there was so much interest in the other recent WLH thread, I thought y'all might be interested in having a go at this one.

I'm not as experienced at grading these as Tom and the others, so I hope to learn a lot from reading everyone's posts here. I can break these down into the basic grades, but getting more specific is still a lot more work for me as I ease my way back into the hobby. If you please, explain how and why you grade the coin like you do.

About the image:

Several people remarked when I posted this in another thread that it seemed like there was a little green on it, which they suspected to be PVC. I can say that in the hand I'm not seeing any, so unless I'm blind, it's an artifact of my ever-evolving photography. The coin has a [/i]slightly[/i] pink/brown hue to it that the photo is not quite realizing, but otherwise I think this is a pretty representative image. Not 100% as sharp as in-hand, but like I said - my photography is ever-evolving. Hope y'all enjoy...

1314453-1944comp.jpg

EF-40. Note how differently coins from the 1940s are graded from those of the teens and early 1920s in "that other" thread. A set of coins with this level of detail would be an extraordinary collection indeed!

The caveat is the possiblity of PVC mentioned in your original thread regarding this coin. I still think the image is excellent, and so is the coin!

James

Looks nice to me. thumbsup2.gif

I can see some blue/green mainly on Liberty’s left breast, side of her face, down the center below her hand and scattered lightly through out. On the reverse I can see it mainly on the eagle’s neck and I can see it lightly scattered through out the reverse as well.

Sometimes digital photography can play tricks and sometimes they can be very revealing.

I missed the beginning of the last one of these so I'll have a go before I see anybody elses.

AU-50 because of the thumb and neck feathers as well as the quality of all the features. Liberty's left leg and breast feathers are weak plus minimum thumb are keeping it from AU-55.

Now I hope I don't get tooo embarrassed when I read the others blush.gif

If there really is no green on the coin, my guess is your lense. The green in photo is about the same size and intensity on both sides, although shifted left on the reverse.

Regis

I’m going to say EF45. I am using the "The complete guide to Walking Liberty

Half Dollars" by Bruce Fox as a guide though. I learned from the last thread

that those grading standards are outdated and some of his grades don’t

exist anymore. Either way, I think this one is Extra Fine and NOT an AU

coin. The AU grades should have a little mint luster rubbed off on the high

points - this coin clearly has had material rubbed off . So, I say EF45 - if

that grade doesn’t exist then EF40.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Must get an ANA grading guide…

Hays

Thanks for doing another one Pendragon 893applaud-thumb.gif

F 16 or F 18 has never really existed.... it was more a made up grade... Can you tell a F 15 coin from a F 16 coin? If you can... then WOW! There are too many grades as is.. the less the better if you ask me.

I think you have an EF45 and agree that the later dates are not graded the same as the earlier dates, nor should they be. If there is no PVC on the coin, and you say there isn't, then it looks like it is pretty nice.

Wanna grade another Walking Liberty Half?

Nope, not really.

Chad - you play nice makepoint.gif

grin.gif

Hays

Well Hays, with all the walkers recently, I can't take many more! We need some variety in here!

Well Hays, with all the walkers recently, I can't take many more! We need some variety in here!

Ha-ha - There have only been 2 threads of “guess the circulated WLH grades”!

Don’t worry my friend, I’m sure we will return to guessing the grades of MS coins after this one. gossip.gif

Hays

Looks nice to me. thumbsup2.gif

I can see some blue/green mainly on Liberty’s left breast, side of her face, down the center below her hand and scattered lightly through out. On the reverse I can see it mainly on the eagle’s neck and I can see it lightly scattered through out the reverse as well.

Sometimes digital photography can play tricks and sometimes they can be very revealing.

Well, I'll be...

When I originally reported that I didn't see any green on the coin in-hand, I was looking at it under the regular room illumination. All this talk (and seeing it myself in the photo) made me curious, so I brought over one of the 60 watt Philips Natural lamps I use for photography. Under the brighter light of the lamp, I did indeed see some green on the coin, which I now think is possible PVC. There's not much there, but it is visible under the other light, which may be due to higher illumination and/or different lighting wavelengths. Regardless, I now think that I do have a little PVC on the coin, probably from an old flip it was in prior to my obtaining it 15 years ago.

If I leave it be in it's new PVC-free home, will I see any more damage in 15 years if I do nothing? If I gave it a little acetone bath, would that harm the coin's nice color?

Sorry I didn't notice it before - the right light can really make a difference!

PVC is the bane of all coins. ALWAYS assume that sooner or later, it will damage your coin permanently. A jug of acetone at Home Depot or Lowes is cheap, and so worth the investment. And whatever acetone is left over, the wife can use to refill her nail polish remover bottles.

James

You may want to dip a Q-Tip in the acetone and lightly contact the surface of the coin with it. If the cotton turns green then you have PVC.