• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Critique this photo and help me improve my photography

9 posts in this topic

Here is a composite of photos I took of a circulated 1944 half I've had forever. I'd appreciate any comments on how I could improve this image. I'm still learning to take better photos, so any input would be welcomed. Thanks!

1314453-1944comp.jpg

1314453-1944comp.jpg.1195d17fcae113737045b4b3e880895d.jpg

The photo looks rather well for a circ coin. But I will say that the reverse is tilted a bit. Other than that nice photo. I can't say as to how accurate the photo is vs the coin in hand, but it looks accurate. On a side note I like the 2 pics of the coin side by side. Thats just me though

Thank you Bruce. I agree that the plane of the reverse looks a bit tilted, but it's actually an optical illusion; the coin was definitely flat. It's possibly due to a slightly too-close crop.

The photo is pretty darn close to how the coin looks in hand, although there's a slightly pink hue to the coin that the camera didn't pick up. I think my white balance is as good as I can do with a white sheet rather than a gray card, so other than photoshopping it, I don't think I can improve that.

I also prefer the pics side-by-side, but I thought I'd try and keep this thread from scrolling horizontally too much since I was posting big images.

You could try closing down the f/ stop as far as you can go (I uses f/36), and lengthening the exposure time. I find that this works well for circulated coins.

Zach

This seems like a very good image to me. One thing about the coin though - it might like an acetone bath. I could swear I see some PVC residue on the coin.

Really, I think you're images have improved dramatically in the past few weeks thumbsup2.gif.

James

I agree that the photos make it look like it's got a slightly greenish cast through the vertical axis, but it's apparently an artifact of either my lighting or my camera. I noticed it too when I looked at the images, but I cannot find it in-hand, so I can only conclude it's artifact. I have to admit, it does look a little like PVC.

I'm about 95% happy with the image, but I want to get the focus a little better. I'll try a longer exposure and stopped down lens as Zach suggested. I've been trying to keep the shutter speed higher than 1/60 sec, but I'll give the slower speed a shot. It's not like anything's moving or anything. Thanks for all the comments so far.