• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Maple Leaf questions

5 posts in this topic

I very recently became interested in Canadian Silver Maple Leaf coins. I'm going to a coin show this weekend and want to purchase some (just silver, no holograms). Unfortunately I am having a hard time finding information on these coins. Hopefully some of you could help me out...

-What are the current wholesale prices of Maple Leaf coins? (ie, 2002, proof or unc.)?

-I've noticed there are different mint marks (dragon, snake, etc.), will these affect prices?

-Do you know of any good sites giving good information on these coins?

-Should I be able to find roughly the same quality in craftsmanship as with US coins?

-Should I expect to pay more at a US coin show (bay area of California) then from a Canadian web site?

-Can you buy these coins from the Royal Canadian Mint, their website isn't very user friendly-hard to get info.?

Thanks for the time,

-JotaDe

Krause publications provide some pricing info in the world coin catalog. There are ads with these items in World Coin News as well. The privy marks do effect the pricing as some are scarcer than others. The quality of manufacture on these coins is very good and probably superior than the American Eagles.

The quality of these is very nice. Expect to pay about 6-8 dollars for normal ones. Those (dragon, snake, fireworks) are not mint marks, rather, they are privy marks, to commemoraite some event, or the chinese year.

Thx for the replies.

I am actually having a hard time finding these at coin shops in my area...no one seems to be carrying them.

I found a bullion store that has a few dates, but the coins all have some toning on them, maybe the plastic packaging from the Canadian Mint doesn't preserve the coins from this.

The prices for these coins were $7. Fortunately I found one '99 in nice condition.

Hopefully, the Santa Clara coin show in Nov. will have a decent supply.

Do any of you who collect these take them out of their original packaging?

I'm wondering if I should since the rest of the coins I saw had milky toning.

If anyone knows any websites that I could get Maple Leafs from I would appreciate it.