• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How can we shake up this forum?

44 posts in this topic

As a poster to and reader of messages on both this and the PCGS board, I am disappointed that this board is so quiet. I like NGC as much as PCGS, if not more, and would like to see more action on this board.

Any suggestions on what it would take to accomplish that?

A minicam hookup to the NGC grading room and broadcast of the images here?

How about if we post X number of messages in a given month, John Maben volunteers to participate in one of those carnival dunk tanks?

A prize for the question/post of the day?

Anyone out there? If so, are you awake?

I'm awake, but barely. I try to post as often as I can, but I've been fighting a cold lately. Still, you can't count on any individual to make or break a coin forum.

I used to post a trivia question or two daily. That seemed to have spurred some activity. I will resume, but this alone will not do it.

One of the reasons why the CU forum has so much activity is because of the type of posts. There is quite a bit of rancor there. The people here don't seem to get riled as easily. And, the people here are also there!

Another reason why the other board is so active is because of the sheer volume of newbie and eBay posts. For better or worse, this place does not yet attract many newbies. Newbies tend to need more handholding, which would also drive the eBay questions. And, they're more susceptible to the us-vs-them attitude involving grading services. And, for the past several years, PCGS have been the dominant marketing force in this segment of the industry.

Those who care about this place just need to post more. They (we) need to take an active approach to generating activity.

For example, Mark, you could've posted your thoughts on LB here. Or, you could post your thoughts on StL (when you return) here as well. How 'bout your thoughts on the health of the coin market, and its relation to the economy. Any interesting stories? Trivia questions?

EVP

Thanks, EVP, I think you raised some good points. I also think I will post a message here, that I recently posted on the other board and see if anyone other than you is awake. smirk.gif

Well, comicbutt, I do appreciate your helping to shake up this forum, even if you are from another world! I wont dare ask where you got your user name and I don't want you to show me either. smile.gif Comics are fine, just not as fine as coins.

• Administrator

What generates activity on a board is the existence of controversial topics and their responses only on that board. A board doesn't become popular by mirroring content other places, and it doesn't stay active by having topics that everyone can agree on.

Post volume on each thread is driven often by only a few people who respond to each other in a rapid-fire fashion because they disagree on something. This spark of ongoing activity draws others, who chip in here and there. It's like sparks starting a fire.

Personally, I'd like to see opinion articles going up on the front page of the CS with links to discussion threads here. Opinion articles that really contain insightful thoughts about the hot spots of the hobby - not just news and updates. News is nice, but there's often little reason to discuss it. Opinions draw comments.

I'd like to see those occur regularly from the experts at NGC and truthfully, I'd like to find some articulate community members to post good controversial (but not insulting or negative) opinion pieces on the CS pages as well. BUT, none of that is my call. It's tough for a company to talk about controversial topics, because it may tick some customers off. It's even tough to take community contributions, because some will hold it against you for even hosting that article. But personally, I see the Collectors' Society as just that. The Collectors' Society. I think it should be both FOR and BY the collectors.

Ah well. Pipe dreams, eh?

Arch

Arch,

I would be willing to write an op piece on a controversial topic. I already have one in mind. I would also not mind having my op piece subject to editorial change, as long as it's not a cover for censorship.

EVP

• Administrator

I have. Although I haven't really tried to push extremely hard for them. Devoting their own internal resources to article writing, is of course, always a matter of prioritizing it. There's always other work to be done!

But see, EVP is already thinking about contributing if we were to open things up! I think that would be cool. I'd like to see some life in the Newstalk folder! smile.gif

Arch

The one thing that I really like here compared to across the street is the signal to noise ratio.

Here, 90%+ of the posts are informative or insightful, while elsewhere, that number is closer to 10%, and you have to wade through too much junk. I would like to see more participating over here, but at the same time, want to see thw quality continue.

What generates activity on a board is the existence of controversial topics and their responses only on that board.

Those are definitely the best threads, as long as personal attacks are left out of it. The posts can even stray off topic SOMEWHAT and still be a good read. Disagreement with enough civility to keep the personal attacks out is definitely the recipe for a successful active board (IMHO) smile.gif

Phil

"This spark of ongoing activity draws others, who chip in here and there. It's like sparks starting a fire."

See Arch, I am doing you favor by being a . laugh.gif

I tried to light a fire on the Buy,Sell, Trade forum. Didn't work. frown.gif

I tried helping out, Spooly, but alas I failed. blush.gif Shame on me. Maybe I should be forced to do something really awful, like, oh I don't know. How about suggesting a punishment for me.

Maybe we can make that a topic of a post. How shall we punish labmom for being an utter failure on the B/S/T board?

so as she grows, I'll have to continually change my handle? wink.gif She's a big enough handful right now at 6 1/2 months to qualify as a full fledged lab, not 1/2 of one. ooo.gif

Oops, that's right. blush.gif I was thinking of her age, since we consider her as a lab, not a mix. She looks like a yellow lab, except for a little extra hair on her tail.

one problem this board has is there is to much compitition with other boards, clubs,chats and websites for coin collectors.

Where I will check out in one night is

1) first this board

2) new coin board cointalk

3) email from about six coin clubs from yahoo

4) aol coin chat

5) read a few back issuse of NBS's E-SYLUM

6)try and find new coin sites to add to my collection

7) If I have time check out IGC board

8) if I have time PCGS board

so you can see there is alot of compition out there. CHRIS

I'd like to thank everyone for their posts. There is life out there and I am glad to see it! Keep the messages coming - everyone can contribute in their own way. I did notice that there are still a lot more views than there are messages posted - you guys who are looking but not talking - speak up!

How 'bout a Women of NGC online pageant?

How 'bout a monthly contributing writer segment, with a coin-related story or article, fact or fiction? Perhaps a vote at the end of the year for best article, with a real prize. (If we started now, then we can have the vote by around this time next year.) The prize can be round-trip tickets (air, bus or train) to one of FUN, LB, Baltimore or summer ANA...

EVP