• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post a scanned coin picture and list the scanner model

18 posts in this topic

A recent post has someone looking for advice on what kind of scanner to buy. I'm sure they're not the only person looking to buy one. I'd like to suggest that in this thread, anyone who scans their coins should post a scan as an example and then describe their setup (brands, model, etc). This will help potential buyers to evaluate different scanners before buying.

2001 D Sac photographed using Nikon coolpix885. I have to take several photo's of the coin before I get an image to come out not so blurry, then I'm still not very happy with the results. Sometimes I get to much reflection from the flash or my hands are shaking to much and the photo comes out blurry. I usually get my best results taken photo's of coins as they lay on there side.

Taking photo's of coins reminded me of learning to pull a trigger in basic training, you have to pull the trigger without jerking the weapon. they actually use a dime test to determine if you are jerking the weapon. They would balance a dime on top of the sites and if the dime dropped off the site of the weapon that meant you were jerking as you pulled the trigger. If that was the case we had to do pushup. It is all in the breathing technique.

1295675-2001D.JPG.50e3b3d53c3802e011a4c4339baab1ec.JPG

As we science-nerds are fond of saying: "No data is bad data!"

If you're getting rotten scans, post them anyway. Getting great scans? Please take the time to post on here for future reference.

Buyers are as interested in what to avoid as they are in what to consider buying.

I don't get it. Whenever I try to scan a coin, it comes out all blurry, like it's focusing at the level of the scanner bed instead of the coin in the slab. It's an HP psc1350 all-in-one scanner printer thingy. Could this be the reason, or am I full of it? Does anyone else have this problem? Peoples' scans usually come out pretty decent.

confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

I don't get it. Whenever I try to scan a coin, it comes out all blurry, like it's focusing at the level of the scanner bed instead of the coin in the slab. It's an HP psc1350 all-in-one scanner printer thingy. Could this be the reason, or am I full of it? Does anyone else have this problem? Peoples' scans usually come out pretty decent.

confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

Refer to this post, Scanner help post

it will explain yhe problem you are referring to. I had the same problem and that is what started this post.

Here's a pic from my old Visioneer 6100 scanner, taken at 1200 dpi, then cropped and reduced by about 40% to this size.

1307844-buffscan.jpg

1307844-buffscan.jpg.e3d5e4249a3ffb8ded4b98a1d0764457.jpg

But, then here's my first try shooting a coin with the $130 Coolpix L4 that I recently bought for my daughter.

1307856-buffpic.jpg

1307856-buffpic.jpg.7bb1c0002f08272a3a13746394dabd11.jpg