• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you really enjoy...

12 posts in this topic

...a PF70 or MS70 more than you enjoy, say, a PF 69 or a MS69? Or for that matter, a PF 65 / MS65? Or is it all about the bragging rights in your registry set?

a PF70 or MS70 more than you enjoy, say, a PF 69 or a MS69?

It's not that you can even tell them apart confused-smiley-013.gif

I'm with James on this one,I prefer older circulated coins that have a history behind them.

If someone were to give me a complete set of Morgan $'s in MS67/68, I don't think I would complain. I really like the look of the Proof SAE's in the high grades, but I don't think I'd get the same feeling for a complete set of Kennedy's or Washington's or most 19th century coins.

Let me ask you this.............How would you feel seeing your 90 year-old grandmother running around in a miniskirt cut just below her cheeks, a ring in her tongue and a tattoo WELL BELOW her navel?

Chris

Let me ask you this.............How would you feel seeing your 90 year-old grandmother running around in a miniskirt cut just below her cheeks, a ring in her tongue and a tattoo WELL BELOW her navel?

I don't think I'd be very excited. But my grandfather might dig it.

devil.gif

Beijim

Do you really enjoy a PF70 or MS70 more than you enjoy, say, a PF 69 or a MS69?

Don't know; I've never owned either a 69 or a 70.

Edited to add: Or a 67 or a 68.

Okay no laughing...when I first started out (only about a year ago) I bought a couple of the silver state quarters. One is Minnesota NGC PF69 Ultra Cameo and the other is Colorado NGC PF70 Ultra Cameo.

No I don't enjoy the Colorado more than the Minnesota and neither of them as much as some of my other non MS coins. I do keep the quarters though because I can leave them out for display at parties w/o worrying about them and non-collectors that I have over seem to like to look at them - "Ohhh Shiny."

I don't think I'd be very excited. But my grandfather might dig it.

devil.gif

Beijim

893whatthe.gifforeheadslap.gifsign-funnypost.gif

I am with you guys on this. I like circulated coins with some history. I am not a fan of Proofs, too clean and perfect, and would pick MS over PF. When you hold a circulated coin you can really think about its where abouts. I once found a large cent during a excavation of a colonial period home, I thought to myself that some guy doing what I was doing 130 years earlier dropped this in this hole. The coin had heavy pitting but was fully legible. I dropped a new penny back in the hole for someone to find.

An AU touched somebody's hand that cared enough to safely tuck it away. cloud9.gif I'm with the circulated crowd. MS are for references and proof just for investment. All can be an investment with some being an adventure into the past.

Really, any of the high, high grade stuff is mostly investors. Real collectors (the main bulk of us, anyways) can't afford that stuff, and most numismatically minded people don't care for the modern stuff. The bigger question for me is do I enjoy a MS-65 more than I do the MS-64. The series I am working on right now, Franklin Halves, is affordable in the uncirculated ranges and look nice, so why not go for that over the circulated stuff. But I am having to decide more and more if I want the 65 or the 64. Honestly, I can't really tell the difference, unless I am comparing a bottom rung 64 with a top level 65. I do derive some enjoyment and satisfaction from climbing the ranks of the registry, but not really enough to justify the higher price for something I can't tell the difference between.