• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why block out slab label?

13 posts in this topic

This is probably a beginner question, but I've noticed several instances of people blocking out all or parts of the label on photos of their slabs. Why do people do that?

I've seen a lot of this on Ebay where sellers block out the slab label so they can give you a coin that is the same type/grade, but not the exact coin pictured. Usually thats whats up, but registry set concerns also play a role.

So people can't steal the numbers and use them for their registry set.

Would people really do that? That's really sad. Sort of like some high school kid cutting out a model's photo from a magazine and telling people she's his girlfriend. confused-smiley-013.gif

Yeah I'm not clear on this either. Is it just that people might swipe the serial numbers to add to their registry set and pretend that they have a coin, or is there something more than that? I guess I don't really see the value in pretending you have something that you don't.

But why on this one?

1885IHCslab.jpg

Teletrade does that to all slabs.It'as most likely to block out the little inventory sticker they put there.

I routinely block part of the coin's certification number as a courtesy to my buyers so they're assured of receiving a coin they can enter without hassle into their registry set (either PCGS or NGC). I block only part of the number so they can easily verify that I sent the coin pictured in the listing and not some substitute (except of course in the case of Second Chance offers).

It's admittedly a bit of a hassle to do this in preparing auction listings, and I'm considering dropping it. I note that many top eBay sellers don't bother, so perhaps certification number theft is a non-issue.

As others here have noted, you really have to be kidding to build a registry set on stolen certs. Then again, it's a 100 I.Q. world by definition.

Beijim

I can understand why they are scared that people will "steal" the numbers for their own registry set, but people like me usually "verify certification" on every coin I am thinking about buying (and good thing I have because some have been "DELETED" from the registry and the pictures were when the coin was actually in the specific slab and now it has been removed from the slab. So if they block part or all of the numbers I just pass right by that auction because if I cant verify that the coin is what it says it is then I will NOT buy it