• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eisenhower Dollars Into Danso

3 posts in this topic

I have started collecting slowly and now, in order to better organize my finds and purchases bought a few Dansco albums. I'm having trouble determining how to tell the difference between a few slots. For examlpe - 1974-S Clad Proof <> 1074-S 40% BU <> 1974-S 40% Proof - Also while I'm at it what is the difference between Brown Box Ikes, Blue Ikes, Ikes in Proof Sets, etc...... Any help would be appreciated because I'm really having trouble to understand how to tell the difference because the coins I bought do not indicate this information... Thanks in advance .. confused.gif

OK...brown box = silver proof

blue pack = silver MS

regular proof sets = clad

special three coin bicentennial set = sliver proof

I'm not sure how the MS silver bicentennial stuff came confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

The silver coins should look "whiter" than the clad ones.

You can generally tell the composition by the coin's reeded edge. If it looks like a modern-day quarter, then it's clad. If you see mostly white with a faint hint of copper, it's 40% silver. BU is just a business strike so shouldn't show mirrored fields, and Proof are proof so should show highly mirrored fields and frosty design elements.

If you can, try looking at the following Kennedy half dollars: A 1964; a 1965, 66, 67, or 68; and one after 1970. The 1964 were 90% silver, the ones in the late '60s were 40% silver, and those after the '60s were clad.