• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Follow the lead picture post.
8 8

10,508 posts in this topic

On 1/18/2022 at 8:23 PM, ldhair said:

Clash marks. The die used to strike the coin was clashed with the die from the 1857 Half Dollar. 

(thumbsu

And what's this?

Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 8.25.02 PM.png

I do as well, in general I like the old holders when buying coins not made of silver or gold.   It really helps the comfort level as you know the surfaces are stable and less likely to change or turn in the holder vs a brand new holder.

On 1/19/2022 at 9:32 PM, Coinbuf said:

I do as well, in general I like the old holders when buying coins not made of silver or gold.   It really helps the comfort level as you know the surfaces are stable and less likely to change or turn in the holder vs a brand new holder.

Exactly.  I have several of my key dates in these old ANACS slabs.

On 1/19/2022 at 7:36 PM, tj96 said:

Exactly.  I have several of my key dates in these old ANACS slabs.

Most of my early ANACS style holders have Morgan dollars in them as that is what I was collecting in slabs at that time, most of my copper in older holders are in NGC fatties or PCGS rattlers and OGH holders.   I really like the style with the gold reverse sticker, those are getting much tougher to find anymore.

On 1/21/2022 at 9:37 AM, Just Bob said:

Was someone at the mint drinking heavily? I don't see how someone could mistakenly confuse dies for a double eagle, a half, and a quarter with cent dies, unless it was intentional, or they were hammered.

Where you bin.  IMO the Philly mint has had a VERY long history of POOR quality control.