• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Follow the lead picture post.
8 8

10,516 posts in this topic

On 8/20/2021 at 4:06 PM, Mr_Spud said:

F61400D7-7ED9-4012-9DA3-ECBF80659EA3.jpeg

913AD243-9B8D-42C0-9B14-6E9889347D57.jpeg

Very nice, full head (I sez so!) fully detailed breast feathers, inact, well-defined, legivle shield encicled with Rosie the Riveter rivits, well-defined Federal shield, formally dressed denticles, sharp and elusive but inclusive Maimonides scuptor's mark, M, but last but not least a comparatively rare and an embarrassindly intact embossed date on the pedestal. To die-hard fans of this Type 1 issue, look and weep!  Very well done, Mr. SPUD!!! Highest award: 🐓 🐓 🐓 🐓 🐓 

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Misspelling; phrase addition.

On 8/23/2021 at 8:29 AM, MorganMan said:

1917slq.jpg

[I need to go back to an ophthalmologist.  I see double of the two finest quarters I ever laid eyes on!  Who's to say this wasn't among the first ten minted on the First Day of Issue? Where's RWB?  Any record of finger amputations on the First Day?]   doh!

On 8/24/2021 at 1:43 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

[I need to go back to an ophthalmologist.  I see double of the two finest quarters I ever laid eyes on!  Who's to say this wasn't among the first ten minted on the First Day of Issue? Where's RWB?  Any record of finger amputations on the First Day?]   doh!

I bought this one in an old NGC holder graded MS61. I knew it was undergraded, but was looking for a nice 7070 Type 1. I popped it out of the holder and it now resides in my 7070. I have thought about having it regraded, but did not since I like it where it is!

On 8/23/2021 at 12:41 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

Very nice, full head (I sez so!) fully detailed breast feathers, inact, well-defined, legivle shield encicled with Rosie the Riveter rivits, well-defined Federal shield, formally dressed denticles, sharp and elusive but inclusive Maimonides scuptor's mark, M, but last but not least a comparatively rare and an embarrassindly intact embossed date on the pedestal. To die-hard fans of this Type 1 issue, look and weep!  Very well done, Mr. SPUD!!! Highest award: 🐓 🐓 🐓 🐓 🐓 

FYI- it’s graded AU58 Full Head by PCGS. I liked it’s strike and original skin, but like most of my coins it’s circulated but hard to tell it’s circulated🌞

Edited by Mr_Spud

On 8/25/2021 at 7:13 PM, Mr_Spud said:

FYI- it’s graded AU58 Full Head by PCGS. I liked it’s strike and original skin, but like most of my coins it’s circulated but hard to tell it’s circulated🌞

I understand and totally sympathize.  Incidentally, it was @VKurtB and not @RWB who made the reference to severed digits in a post about the minting process at the Royal Mint.  My error.

On 8/24/2021 at 1:43 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Both are nice quarters, but not among the first off new dies. A true "first strike" (about 25 pieces) will have very little luster - merely satin fields created by the final acid dip after hardening and tempering.

On 8/26/2021 at 10:13 AM, RWB said:

Both are nice quarters, but not among the first off new dies. A true "first strike" (about 25 pieces) will have very little luster - merely satin fields created by the final acid dip after hardening and tempering.

I am the most ignorant "coin collector" who has ever had the honor and vicarious enjoyment of gracing these threads.  So what exactly is the point of labels that boast, First Srike or First Day of Issue or the hand of the Director who "catches" the First Coin minted in the palm of his hand?  I am beginning to think there is absolutely no numismatic significance to that bag of sealed 1964 Kennedy halves that you adamantly insisted its alleged pristine integrity is beyond the realm of "proof" as that word is commonly used and accepted.

On 8/26/2021 at 10:40 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

I am the most ignorant "coin collector" who has ever had the honor and vicarious enjoyment of gracing these threads.  So what exactly is the point of labels that boast, First Srike or First Day of Issue or the hand of the Director who "catches" the First Coin minted in the palm of his hand?  I am beginning to think there is absolutely no numismatic significance to that bag of sealed 1964 Kennedy halves that you adamantly insisted its alleged pristine integrity is beyond the realm of "proof" as that word is commonly used and accepted.

They are all sales cons, unless backed by proof of the claim. "First day of issue" is the easiest to verify since the original bag will have a date on the tag, and the official release date is known. "First strike" has no clear definition but is commonly thought of as the first small group of coins made from a pair of new dies; these will differ in appearance from subsequent coins by their smooth satin-like fields and absence of luster. The "first coin struck" has occasionally been reserved for presentation to the President or some other officer, or like the 1921-D coins that were engraved with their status. T. Louis Comparette, curatorof the Mint Cabinet, is recorded as taking coins straight from the press to use in his distribution to major collections....but not necessarily the first from new dies.

On 8/25/2021 at 7:13 PM, Mr_Spud said:

You are a seasoned numismatist with discriminating, exquisite taste!

On 8/28/2021 at 11:56 AM, Mr_Spud said:

I believe gold is wild 🌞

63577680-FA91-445D-A2ED-421FC1458833.jpeg

8C4EEFA3-7CE2-43F5-AF83-02B3308AC357.jpeg

Two questions: What do the initials "O.S." after T.J.'s DOB stand for, and Did they ever catch the guy who stole all the denticles from the reverse side? 😉  Great piece! 👍