• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pop report for 1979-S T1 SBA?

12 posts in this topic

I just picked up a 1979-S T1 SBA 1$ in PCGS PF69 DCAM on eBay for $18.50, shipped. PCGS price guide has that coin going for around $45, so I'm feeling positive about the buy.

Could someone let me know what the pop report says for this coin? This is my first slabbed coin, so I'm kind of excited to know.

1249329-1979-P_PF69.JPG

1249329-1979-P_PF69.JPG.2ccbab71b75d5ddaa0139421a299f8c3.JPG

Modern Issues PR

PCGS No Date Den Variety Desig VG-VF 50 53 55 58 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 Total

99589 1979-S SBA$1 Type 1 PRDC 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 3 4 7 21 68 278 5842 269 6493

99590 1979-S SBA$1 Type 2 PRDC 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 3 3 11 34 136 468 1588 53 2296

Thank you, Excaliber! Looks like the Pendragon can always depend on his trusty Excaliber.

My collection is coming along nicely so far. I've got examples of all of the types and varieties, except for the type 2's and a 79-P wide-rim. The T-2's I'm waiting on until I (hopefully) get a job I'm applying for which pays better - I have been thinking about picking up the 79T-2 as a personal present if I get it. The wide-rim, I'm currently looking for, but haven't found it in a high enough grade to satisfy me. I'm trying to collect raw, and I'm being picky. Eventually, I want MS-65 or higher for all business strikes and proofs as perfect as I can get.

I've been particularly pleased with my 1999-D business strike I picked up from a guy on eBay selling out of a mint bag for $2.00. I was expecting some bag marks, but the price was good, so I thought I'd at least fill that spot and upgrade later. When it came in, I was delighted to see it was at least an MS-65, maybe borderline MS-66. I wish I'd bought more (he had 20 or so P and D sets available), but it was a gamble, being sight-unseen. My grading is not perfect yet, but I'm fairly confident in those numbers. I'll have to post a photo sometime and ask for opinions.

I thought I got a good deal on the PF-69, though, so I picked it up to upgrade my old 79 T1. - I haven't decided whether I'll flip the PF-69 or crack it - probably crack it. Does it seem like I got a good deal on the slabbed proof?

My SBA collection is currently living in Air-Tite direct fits in the Air-Tite storage box I picked up at JP's corner. I really like the classy look the storage brings to the collection. When I finish the collection to my satisfaction, the whole thing will probably go into an Air-tite album.

Got any pics of your 79 S Circ Pieces? I have a few of those you might like, but let me see what quality your looking for in your coins. smile.gif Good luck laugh.gif

When it came in, I was delighted to see it was at least an MS-65, maybe borderline MS-66. ... My grading is not perfect yet, but I'm fairly confident in those numbers.

I'm curious to know what you're using as a guide to grade these. I recently (4 days ago) went through my ~650 dollar coins (~200 SBAs) and re-graded them, and based upon the latest ANA book I ended up downgrading a lot of them so the highest I have now is around an MS-63 ... I think.

Something that struk me was that the very highest points of the hair (towards the middle, top) were nearly all smooth in my coins, so I took that to mean they were circulated. But I was wondering if you know of any weak strikes that would mean that these were in fact uncirculated, it's just that the coin never had that hair detail to begin with?

Thanks for any input.

I know what you mean about the smooth hair area. Looking at my PF69 that just came in, I do notice a small area where the hairlines (hair, not scratches - 27_laughing.gif) appear to be worn away. The area I'm talking about is located in the hair above the ear, midway between the top and bottom edges of the hair. It almost looks like wear, but I think it is just the way the design was made. Without seeing your coins, I couldn't say for certain in your case, but even looking at this PF69 coin, I could almost imagine wear there where wear weren't.