• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Feedback Solicited: Superior Galleries

15 posts in this topic

I'm considering bidding in the upcoming Elite Coin Auction that Superior Galleries is holding from May 25-27. I've never done business with this auction house and am hoping you'll be willing to share your opinions regarding their reputation and business practices? I'd be submitting an Internet absentee bid sheet through their web site.

Thanks for your consideration!

Beijim

They are owned by TAGZ. If you don't know, TAGZ SUCKS!!! They are the rudest, most arrogant, most pompous SOBs in the industry. I'd invite Alan Hager and David Hall over to my house before I'd invite any of them.

If you want to be their customer, you need to know a few things. You are a pathetic piece of [!@#%^&^]. You are bothering them when you buy something. If you buy something from them, buy it and leave them alone ASAP. They don't like you. Again, you are a pathetic piece of [!@#%^&^]. They would much rather talk to each other than show you a coin.

I have never found their web site user friendly and for that reason have never paid much attention to them.

Heh heh, thanks Greg for your counsel. I do wish you'd hold back a bit more, though, as I'm keenly aware of my status as pathetic piece of [!@#%^&^] because at least one former girlfriend advised me. From what you say, it appears she now works at Superior, so I'm virtually certain never to get the high bid flamed.gif.

Toggling the sobriety bit, I now remember discussions featuring this assessment from prior posts in this forum. When I saw some of Superior's coins on eBay and then visited their web site, I didn't make the connection. It's a shame because a few of their coins in this auction (some Buffalos and Mercurys) are quite appealing.

Thanks again, though, for your honest opinion. I respect and appreciate that.

Regards,

Beijim (that lousy SOB piece of human filth)

P.S. Be careful about inviting ACG to dinner. They might take you up on it. Of course, you could burn the filet mignon, spoil the souffle, and saturate their silk evening clothes with a full bottle of Mouton-Rothschild, and you'd still get a five star MS70 review on your culinary superiority.

Say what you want about the "TAGZ" portion of Superior Galleries of Beverly Hills, but Steve Deeds runs a reputable auction house. I have never heard anyone call Deeds and his folks anything but positive.

Beijim, after all, was strictly referring to the auction component of SGBH.

EVP

Say what you want about the "TAGZ" portion of Superior Galleries of Beverly Hills, but Steve Deeds runs a reputable auction house. I have never heard anyone call Deeds and his folks anything but positive.

Someone had a problem with Deeds on the other forums. I think it was with a consignment. I don't remember the detail but he had a problem and someone told him to contact Deeds because he was a good guy. It turned out that is who he had been talking with.

If the search feature worked over there, I would go dig it up.

Agreed, but it does go along with the TAGZ way.

Seriously, I wouldn't buy from Superior based on the way the parent company conducts business. There are enough coin dealers out there to not do business with the scumbags.

i suppose if you have examined the coin in person

and know exactly what you are looking at

and know what the coin would sell for cash today at a large major show

or you have instant cash offers for the coin right now and then you are bidding in person on the floor

for the coin where it is fun for you and a hobhy and the money you are spending is disposible income

and you know the top figure you are comfortable with in paying for the coin

and after the auction you psy for the coin and take it in hand

then by all means bid on it 893applaud-thumb.gif

now if you cant do all of the above then let the buyer beware and that is okie!

i just hope you make all the right choices!

sincerely michael shy.gif

Beijim,

Make sure either you or someone you trust sights the coin in person first. I say this for a couple of reasons. First, you should always do this anyway. Second, Superior's online images are awesome - often nicer than the coins. Third, coins listed as raw, e.g. "MS65", are often in holders other than NGC or PCGS. So, for example, you might think you're getting an MS65, and when the coin shows up it is actually PCI MS65. If you're lucky, it will cross a point or two lower.

Other than that, go ahead & bid, if the coins you want are there in the sale !! Superior also can take a long time to send out invoices (although now I think they do it by e-mail). And they take a really long time to send out the coins. But you WILL get them !!! They are still a reputable auction house despite any other comments.

Sunnywood

Sunnywood, thanks for sharing that wisdom, all of which makes perfect sense. Since the coins in which I was interested were reasonably expensive ($300 - $2,000), and I won't be able to attend the auction, I'll likely pass for now. I need to get out to some shows and make numismatic friends in the "someone you trust" category wink.gif.

Regards,

Beijim

The thing I did not like about them was that after buying a coin from one of their auctions I started getting unsolicited calls about some kind of a coin investment program. Even though I know a fair amount about investing I never did understand what their game was. It sounded like they act as market makers in certain series, create artificial demand and price escalation and then tell you when to sell (no doubt after they did). It sounded really shaky and turned me off permanently.

Having said that I did put in three bids on expensive coins in this auction.

They are the rudest, most arrogant, most pompous SOBs in the industry. I'd invite Alan Hager and David Hall over to my house before I'd invite any of them.

If you want to be their customer, you need to know a few things. You are a pathetic piece of [!@#%^&^]. You are bothering them when you buy something. If you buy something from them, buy it and leave them alone ASAP. They don't like you. Again, you are a pathetic piece of [!@#%^&^]. They would much rather talk to each other than show you a coin.

Greg, I thought you were talking about Goldberg's.

I'm bidding in their current auction, dealing with them for the first time.

I had some problems with the internet site, made a couple of phone calls and emails to them, and you described ... above ... EXACTLY how I felt after EACH interaction with them. Maybe I should have said to the guy I spoke to "Oh gee...I'm sorry...I must be some kind of insufficiently_thoughtful_person or insufficiently_thoughtful_person or something, maybe that's why you don't make any sense and I don't know what I am doing...yeah...that's it...I must be really stupid."

Should I start a new thread: Feeback Solicited: Goldberg's?