• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC designations logged somewhere...though not on the holder

4 posts in this topic

Twice I entered the certification numbers of coins (NGC) in the registry and they were identified not just by the year and denomination of the coin, but also the Overton number, when the Overton number was not on the holder. I assumed that when these coins were graded by NGC that they logged it into their system with the Overton number even though it wasn't placed on the holder. However, on both occasions, their designation was wrong. Any ideas about what's going on?

• Administrator

If there is a variety in the NGC system for a coin, it would appear on the label. So, I am not sure what is happening with these two examples. However, if you would like to provide the certification numbers in a private message to me I'll be happy to check it out.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

You may have a coin of a basic, "Red Book" variety that has just a single Overton number. Several years ago, when we began recognizing Overton varieties, those coins in the system that could be pegged as having just one Overton number were automatically updated to include this number. Of course, we can't update the label unless and until the coin is submitted for reholdering or some other service that prompts a new holder.