• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,891 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, Lem E said:

Just picked this one up today. My first Bust half. Now the fun begins in trying to figure out which die marriage this one is. I picked a heck of a one to start with. 49 or so different die pairs for this year from what I have read. I have a lot of research to do. Should be fun. 

52B5D832-B9AA-4BA1-803F-4CEFC27B258F.jpeg

95B095A7-B497-4D47-B516-CEDD77F5F759.jpeg

5E85F132-0538-4FDA-9AC8-548D9B999F9E.jpeg

Very lovely. Top-notch photos, too!

5 minutes ago, Lem E said:

Thanks. I have strayed away from my nickel collection for a while now, but I am enjoying picking up different things and learning about them. This one looks to be a challenge, but I enjoy doing the research. So many things I like. Good thing I work a lot. xD

I hear you, I see posts from a few collectors that have embraced the box of twenty concept and I just wonder why.   I get the concept but I would be so bored with so few coins to look at and enjoy.   A friend once said, I've never had a 70 but lots of 62's; actually his saying is slightly different when referring to the opposite sex but I'll hold back so I don't get banned. :devil:

12 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Very lovely. Top-notch photos, too!

Thanks. Listing photos. Will be off to Buffalo Head soon.

3 hours ago, Lem E said:

Just picked this one up today. My first Bust half. Now the fun begins in trying to figure out which die marriage this one is. I picked a heck of a one to start with. 49 or so different die pairs for this year from what I have read. I have a lot of research to do. Should be fun. 

Very nice LemE. That's on my bucket list. Always wanted one of those. 

3 hours ago, Lem E said:

Thanks. I have strayed away from my nickel collection for a while now, but I am enjoying picking up different things and learning about them. This one looks to be a challenge, but I enjoy doing the research. So many things I like. Good thing I work a lot. xD

I've done the same thing the past couple weeks. I've picked up a couple tokens and a connecuite copper and that's bout it. Had to take a small break. 

10 minutes ago, AcesKings said:

Very nice addition! I'll let you do the research, but will say, the die chip in the lower curl is the tell for this marriage. ;)

Thanks, and thanks for the tip. I was hoping that would be a bit of a tell tale marker. These bust halves are no joke and seem to be very involved. I was reading through an old 6 page thread on just the 1927 Overton #s ATS and I got a bit lost after a while and most of the pics are gone. And it said it was part 2! Was on the Bust Half Nut Club site as well. Any other research options you may have would be appreciated. I know there is an Overton book, but I haven’t found one or access to that information yet. I’m glad I only have one of these. (for now)

20 minutes ago, Hoghead515 said:

I've done the same thing the past couple weeks. I've picked up a couple tokens and a connecuite copper and that's bout it. Had to take a small break. 

Thanks brother. I need to take a break. Keep on buying stuff though. You would think I’m trying to keep up @Woods020 but there’s no way! :roflmao: 

3 hours ago, Lem E said:

Beautiful Lem! Something about these old halves that just embody all the great things about coins that make us enjoy this hobby. 

Just now, Lem E said:

Thanks brother. I need to take a break. Keep on buying stuff though. You would think I’m trying to keep up @Woods020 but there’s no way! :roflmao: 

Hahaha. You are far ahead of me I’m sure. I was just commenting on your half. It’s a great add!

2 minutes ago, Woods020 said:

Hahaha. You are far ahead of me I’m sure. I was just commenting on your half. It’s a great add!

Thanks my friend. Your pick ups have been crazy nice. It has been fun to branch out and get some other coins. Back to reading about how close this star is to this letter and what not. This little crack here and chip there. May bust my brain.

7 hours ago, Simmoleon said:

Normally buy ancient or British coins but my first gold US coin. I’ll submit it for grading and see how it does but this one just called out to me and I bought it

Thanks

Steve

F0DC33FB-C26A-4E3B-AF1A-E6C1FAFA7774.jpeg

I have three concerns: possible cleaning (which has obliterated any original mint luster it may have had); a suggestion of wear on the hair framing the left eye and the high points of the upper third of the wreath. The presence of color contrasts represented best by the area immediately under the wreath requires explanation.  The total absence of any manifestation of damage running the entire gamut known to the numismatic community is nothing less than remarkable considering the pronounced MRSA on the exposed left leg of the up-for-auction 1933 S-G double-eagle which is universally regarded as rude to acknowledge in polite circles.  BTW, how was this coin described to you when it was sold to you? What was its price based on? Do not be reluctant to post your results as there is much to be learned from the opinions of experts and members alike. Good luck!

On 5/24/2021 at 8:04 PM, Woods020 said:

Finally got it in hand today. 

Beautiful; absolutely beautiful.  I'll bet you can't take your eyes off that one.  Congratulations.  :golfclap:

14 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

I have three concerns: possible cleaning (which has obliterated any original mint luster it may have had); a suggestion of wear on the hair framing the left eye and the high points of the upper third of the wreath. The presence of color contrasts represented best by the area immediately under the wreath requires explanation.  The total absence of any manifestation of damage running the entire gamut known to the numismatic community is nothing less than remarkable considering the pronounced MRSA on the exposed left leg of the up-for-auction 1933 S-G double-eagle which is universally regarded as rude to acknowledge in polite circles.  BTW, how was this coin described to you when it was sold to you? What was its price based on? Do not be reluctant to post your results as there is much to be learned from the opinions of experts and members alike. Good luck!

I’ll post new pictures when I have this coin in hand - the coin itself is described as uncirculated and lustrous. Its from a reputable auction house and from a well known numismatic collection. Obviously that’s no guarantee but I expect it’s safer buying from these and paying the premium than other purchasing routes 

Edited by Simmoleon
Grammar

23 minutes ago, Simmoleon said:

I’ll post new pictures when I have this coin in hand - the coin itself is described as uncirculated and lustrous. If from a reputable auction house and from a well known numismatic collection. Obviously that’s no guarantee but I expect it’s safer buying from these and paying the premium than other purchasing routes 

Fair enough. You have exercised due diligence, are no stranger to this game, so all we can do is wait and see what the God's of grading come up with.  Turn-around times remain high with residual [pandemic] delays, so be patient.

67 proof sets...dated 1968 thru 2009.....couple good years in there all proof sets...with at least 10 1986 sets and some special comemoritives so 41 sets plus26 ''other'' sets....under 500 bucks.....not the bargain of the century, but I still can turn a profit.

1 hour ago, Hoghead515 said:

Got this one on the way. Gonna look good in the set along side the others. Screenshot_20210529-192939_eBay.thumb.jpg.b67a1d4110a3c463075c3444fd143428.jpg

Nice one! Is that color on it or is that from a light?

3 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

My first reaction was 66+

Easy for you to say. You're reputed to be the owner of the Coca Cola juicedratic equation. A tweak of a secret ingredient and all trace of the pop spill is removed restoring the original mint luster to coins, old and new alike.

2 hours ago, Lem E said:

Nice one! Is that color on it or is that from a light?

I think some of it is where the light is shining on it. Compared to a few others the same seller has it has alot more luster. 

27 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

Picked this up a couple of weeks ago from a member on the PCGS forum, just the quick slab shots that he sent me as I have not had time to attempt to get any new photos yet myself.

15-D.jpg

15-D2.jpg

Very nice! Looks to have some blue toning hiding in it. Is that a die chip by his eye?