• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,879 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, rocket23 said:

what did the mercury grade??

MS64 FB...if you were referring to mine that is.

Edited by Lem E

2 hours ago, Lem E said:

MS64 FB...if you were referring to mine that is.

Lemme see...  How shall I word this... Okay, got it:  I know this is blasphemous bordering on the sacrilegious but, be honest, have you ever experienced a lapse of judgment and thought, if only for a fleeting moment, and wondered what would happen if you sprayed WD-40 on this, both sides, and let it sit overnight?  That's the one "dip" or "cleaning agent" I have never heard mentioned in any post.

1 hour ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Lemme see...  How shall I word this... Okay, got it:  I know this is blasphemous bordering on the sacrilegious but, be honest, have you ever experienced a lapse of judgment and thought, if only for a fleeting moment, and wondered what would happen if you sprayed WD-40 on this, both sides, and let it sit overnight?  That's the one "dip" or "cleaning agent" I have never heard mentioned in any post.

Interesting... I will have to admit, I am more of a PB Blaster guy myself.

4 minutes ago, ldhair said:

/

To be clear -- before I get more javelins thrown at me, I do not advocate the use of any agent on a collectible.  If you have something in your possession, that clearly exhibits little or no numismatic or collector value, and you're literally salivating at the thought of playing Mad Scientist for "research purposes," by all means do so. But If in your travels you come across a 1913 U.S. nickel with what you feel is an odd oversized letter V on its reverse, it's best to refrain from doing anything to make it look better until you get a qualified second opinion.  As a general rule, "cleaning" of any kind is looked down upon in this hobby, and rightly so.

Note to those submitting photos to fellow members via the appropriate thread for clarification, appraisal -- or amusement:  bear in mind this is a Forum open to members of every stripe and economic status. Try to express yourself clearly and in presentable fashion.  Wash your hands, brush and trim your nails, choose your words with caution -- and display your coins properly, by their edges. Remember, first impressions count.  I do not wish to speculate as to whether any of the foregoing applies to a valued member like Alex of PA who can express his thoughts concisely and coherently with the presentation of a single appropriately animated colorful emoji.

Alright Idhair, Back on Track...

17 hours ago, Buffalo Head said:

I had to fight for this one.  Not at all sure what’s up with the mintmark.

A02E4264-C497-4A93-8B8C-C7780C9AA35D.jpeg

68CC6622-45BD-4D86-AB2F-021AFD0BD5E7.jpeg

[I regret to say my explanation regarding the mintmark -- arguably the most implausible remarks ever posted on this Forum -- were quietly edited out without comment.]  😉

34 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

[I regret to say my explanation regarding the mintmark -- arguably the most implausible remarks ever posted on this Forum -- were quietly edited out without comment.]  😉

Well then, I sure am sorry I missed it.

Its an S but a strange looking one.

On 3/24/2021 at 12:56 AM, Buffalo Head said:

53E6083F-C201-4CB7-849E-774D4B181A39.jpeg

B7EDE014-E8D1-40F4-A2BB-C95E80DD36D0.jpeg

Re the '61 Roosevelt... in the world of Peter Paul Mounds, this would be characterized as "indescribably delicious."  In the staid world of numismatics, it would be assigned a hyphenated number.