• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,883 posts in this topic

On 12/3/2020 at 11:24 PM, Jacob S said:

My new 1857-O Seated Dime. Got this for a steal. Also my first Proof Morgan.

H21890-L235433560.jpg

H21890-L235433570.jpg

H21890-L235433479.jpg

H21890-L235433495.jpg

[I don't care if Uncle VKurtB sees this or not, but I love the rich gold and iridescent blue toning on that well-preserved dime!]

16 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

[I don't care if Uncle VKurtB sees this or not, but I love the rich gold and iridescent blue toning on that well-preserved dime!]

Pretty coin, but it is a Baby Dime.......not a Dime.:o

Found my first fake.....barber half dollar 1906.......no reeded edge, and the weight was 11.8 grams. down from 12.5.......early ebay find....20 bucks gone at least it's silver......so make it 1/3 rd the spot price off the 20......I'll throw it at a siver buyer when silver hits 50 bucks an ounce,lol

2 hours ago, Dimeman said:

2 hours ago, Dimeman said:

Okay Dimeman.  I'll meet you halfway and call it an early nickel.  😉

55 minutes ago, rocket23 said:

Found my first fake.....barber half dollar 1906.......no reeded edge, and the weight was 11.8 grams. down from 12.5.......early ebay find....20 bucks gone at least it's silver......so make it 1/3 rd the spot price off the 20......I'll throw it at a siver buyer when silver hits 50 bucks an ounce,lol

They say condition is irrelevant when you're talking about counterfeits, but I am curious, nevertheless.  Is your Barber well worn?  Does it appear thin?  Is it silver or possibly pewter (or some other elements commonly found on such coins such as lead and tin?)  No sign of reeding at all?  Very interesting!

20 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

They say condition is irrelevant when you're talking about counterfeits, but I am curious, nevertheless.  Is your Barber well worn?  Does it appear thin?  Is it silver or possibly pewter (or some other elements commonly found on such coins such as lead and tin?)  No sign of reeding at all?  Very interesting!

seems thin, no reed at all not even a trace......that and the light weight are dead giveaways.......could do a scrape est now seeing as it's a smelt piece; I'm getting a caliper tomorrow.....i'll post a pic tomorrow...it's all packed away now....might even start a thread

On 12/11/2020 at 10:48 PM, rocket23 said:

seems thin, no reed at all not even a trace......that and the light weight are dead giveaways.......could do a scrape est now seeing as it's a smelt piece; I'm getting a caliper tomorrow.....i'll post a pic tomorrow...it's all packed away now....might even start a thread

It's possible that it's just well worn, as silver coins can easily lose 5% of their silver weight over time due to wear, which is why silver buyers often buy by weight rather than face value (at least when buying large quantities) as the Barber and other older coins are often of much lower weigh than spec.

My most recent acquisition is this 1878-S Morgan silver dollar which is very different from my other blast white Morgans which are in BU condition. I’ve collected all of the five Morgan mint marks. I love coin combinations within collections and I realised what I lacked after completing my collection is the very first 1878 Morgan to complement my last 1921 Morgan. What grade would you assign to my 1878-S Morgan?

4C4A71ED-153F-4118-8D82-C604F0AA8252.jpeg

D4F1AB2E-22CA-4F34-A471-313D5CE785E9.jpeg

Edited by S3R3NDIPITY

6 hours ago, S3R3NDIPITY said:

My most recent acquisition is this 1878-S Morgan silver dollar which is very different from my other blast white Morgans which are in BU condition. I’ve collected all of the five Morgan mint marks. I love coin combinations within collections and I realised what I lacked after completing my collection is the very first 1878 Morgan to complement my last 1921 Morgan. What grade would you assign to my 1878-S Morgan?

The obverse looks like a slider AU58 unless the flat areas are strike weakness then MS62, the reverse looks better at least MS63.  But as the obverse affects the grade more I'm going with AU58.  I'm not a fan of that long black/blue mark on the obverse.

23 hours ago, Ray, USMC said:

Just got this one in late November.

3944944_Full_Obv.jpg?q=11232020133118

3944944_Full_Rev.jpg?q=11232020133118

I don't know why this is so dark. It is difficult to see the great details. Sorry.

[I don't know either but they used to be called a dark "chocolate brown."]

On 5/4/2020 at 10:52 PM, Truly Clean said:

Another new Morgan.  Hope I'm not boring everybody.  I only do Morgans (and I hope I can stop after that).  I COULD show pics of my first grandson instead :)  

This is now my most costly but not my favorite.  

1489540328_92-ccobv.thumb.jpg.db14db44710663bb80b45fdb6a171210.jpg2005831909_92-ccrev.thumb.jpg.d3abeec6b40da19ecb6fd7d220868d12.jpg

This is a great looking coin and I'll admit I'm a little jealous. I collect "key/semi-key date" (term used loosely) US coinage and the 1892-CC has been high on my want list for a while. 

I'm surprised this didn't receive an MS64+ grade. The reverse is stunning but obverse still really nice despite the minor blemishes. 

2 hours ago, 80s Kid said:

This is a great looking coin and I'll admit I'm a little jealous. I collect "key/semi-key date" (term used loosely) US coinage and the 1892-CC has been high on my want list for a while. 

I'm surprised this didn't receive an MS64+ grade. The reverse is stunning but obverse still really nice despite the minor blemishes. 

I agree. And yes, I would have assigned it an MS-64+ grade, without question.  That's a very healthy, strong "CC" mintmark.  All around stunning coin you can be rightly proud of!