• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,879 posts in this topic

On 7/6/2020 at 5:04 PM, Iceman said:

Very Nice Score....Congrat's.....This medal and it two brothers ...The thick version and the gold version are on wish list and you know and heard about wishing in one hand.......LOL

NGC 61. Much thanks.

22 hours ago, jtryka said:

I bought this because it was pretty.

1893p5dobv.jpg

1893p5drev.jpg

Very lovely.  You ought to start a new thread, "What's my grade?"  And after all the viewers have weighed in, publish the grade here along with the name of the TPGS that assigned it. It would be interesting to see who comes closest.

32 minutes ago, jtryka said:

I just got this one in change at the supermarket, maybe I should buy a lotto ticket!

Nice find!   Which reverse is that?

1 hour ago, Just Bob said:

Nice find!   Which reverse is that?

It's the first one, the American Samoa Bat quarter!

On 8/17/2020 at 9:56 PM, kbbpll said:

Wow, I just noticed that this thread has 1.5 million views.

How many?  OMG, you're right!  (Don't forget to check out Insider's simple Yes or No poll now running thru Labor Day, 2020 at Research Poll for US, World, Ancient posters.  Tks!)

Some background on your Saint Gaudens medal.

Saint-Gaudens, who served as an advisor for the Chicago World’s Columbian Exposition sculptural program, accepted the commission for the official award medal. He had completed his design for the medal by the time of the fair’s closing in November 1893. His design for the obverse met ready acceptance. It shows Columbus making landfall in the Americas. At the lower right are three male figures, one bearing an unfurling banner, and above them are the symbolic Pillars of Hercules with the three Spanish caravels and the inscription plvs vltra. His concept for the reverse, however—a nude male youth representing the Spirit of America—was deemed improper by United States Senate Quadro-Centennial Committee. Two variant designs with the figure’s genitals covered and a third with a wreath-encircled eagle and inscription were also rejected. In the end, Saint-Gaudens’s obverse was muled with a design for the reverse by Charles E. Barber, longtime chief engraver at the United States Mint. One of those original discarded medals with the nude boy on reverse sold several years ago at Stacks and Bowers auctions for $45,000. I am painfully aware because I was the losing underbid.

The reverse of the final minted version features a central tablet with an inscription and a space for a drop-in die with the name of the recipient. The tablet is flanked by flaming torches symbolizing light or intelligence, and below it the Santa Maria appears at full sail. Above, two winged (and ironically bare-breasted) females hold symbolic attributes—a trumpet and laurel wreaths and a stylus and a blank tablet—that celebrate the award recipient. The hubs and dies for the medal were produced at the United States Mint in Philadelphia and farmed out for striking to the Scoville Manufacturing Company of Waterbury, Connecticut. The medal was finally awarded to recipients in 1896. 

One more thing on the Saint Gaudens medal. I collect medals from the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition. There are several hundred different medals from that fair designed by either U.S. or European engravers. The year 1492 in roman numerals on these medals were routinely represented three different ways depending on the designer: MCCCCXCII (Most Common); MDCCCXCII, and; MCCCX(backwards C)II.