• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,883 posts in this topic

On 7/19/2018 at 3:58 PM, Just Bob said:

I don't mind, especially since I got it for what I consider to be a good price.

First, a little clarification: It is a Merchant Token, which predates the Civil War (I'm from Mississippi, so I cringe to call it that). It is actually the only Merchant Token from Mississippi in Russel Rulau's token book. This token was struck in several different metals, and it is hard to tell from those pictures, but  this one appears to be a Miller 3, which is copper, or maybe a Miller 4, which is brass. If it is copper, it does not look like it has original surfaces, but since I have not seen an M3 for sale since I have been collecting them, I was willing to give it a shot. I have an M4 in AU that I bought years ago for around $100, and, even though those don't come up for sale all that often, right now, there are two for sale on Ebay . One looks AU, and is $150 plus $16.50 shipping :whatthe:, and the other is an NGC MS63, for $300.

So, having said all of that, I got this one for $50, including shipping.

Wow I will remember that! Merchant token, I stand corrected glad I know that now and learned something. Awesome merchant, pre-civil war very impessive win and find! Sincerely, Capone1929

Nice coins, Ryan, Rollo, and Irvin. :applause:

I received the token that I had posted previously, and it looks better in hand than in the seller's pics. It has definitely seen some circulation, and I still think it has been cleaned at some point, but it looks a lot less "messed with" than I was expecting. And, it is the plain-edge copper version, too. :)

Seller's pictures first, then mine:

s-l501.jpg

s-l500.jpg

100_1676 (2).JPG

100_1678 (2).JPG

Edited by Just Bob

8 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

Nice coins, Ryan, Rollo, and Irvin. :applause:

I received the token that I had posted previously, and it looks better in hand than in the seller's pics. It has definitely seen some circulation, and I still think it has been cleaned at some point, but it looks a lot less "messed with" than I was expecting. And, it is the plain-edge copper version, too. :)

Seller's pictures first, then mine:

s-l501.jpg

Wow, BoB Thanks for the follow up, sounds and appears like a cornerstone! As for the graded Morgan Dollars, Beautiful tough NGC graded type Gems, Very nice coins to all you members! Such a treat to see and enjoy them all! Capone1929

9 hours ago, A.Phillips said:

I dig that Vicksburg!!!

Quite an unusual graded for 1888-S that is under MS. I'm bummered that I'm not able to afford to get MS62 or higher

IMG_20180807_225201.thumb.jpg.7d2be34d772cb5c791581cae9e4baec7.jpg

Very nice looking coin. Nice detail and appears to be free of hairlines for an AU55. 

1 hour ago, david3142 said:

Very nice looking coin. Nice detail and appears to be free of hairlines for an AU55. 

I agreed, I thought it would go for MS60PL.. but I'm wrong.

48 minutes ago, A.Phillips said:

I agreed, I thought it would go for MS60PL.. but I'm wrong.

55 wow looks like someone needs to clean their looking device! According to my 50 greatest collected us coins guide, that's under graded, possibility should be resubmitted I've seen much worse with better grade!

Great Coins all!

Been working on my early commem set lately. Found a nice coin for my Type Set (RCNH Pedigree):

RCNH%201923%20Peace%201%20Combo.jpg

RCNH%201923%20Peace%201%20Slab%20lg.jpg

Edited by leeg
Too quick posting. Fixed

4 hours ago, leeg said:

Great Coins all!

Been working on my early commem set lately. Found a nice coin for my Type Set (RCNH Pedigree):

RCNH%201923%20Peace%201%20Combo.jpg

RCNH%201923%20Peace%201%20Slab%20lg.jpg

Either CAC is strict on Peace dollars, or there are marks that I can't see. That looks like a 66 all day long to me.

7 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Either CAC is strict on Peace dollars, or there are marks that I can't see. That looks like a 66 all day long to me.

My thoughts exactly.

4 hours ago, rrantique said:

Great coin for the  type set Lee and in a old fatty holder. :banana:(thumbsu

Much thanks.  Fit in my budget too. How often does that happen? Not often enough for me.  :smile:

It does have a little gouge on the tail feathers which shouldn't hold it back.