• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,879 posts in this topic

On 2/3/2018 at 5:05 PM, jtryka said:

Picked this one up at a local show today, a modest upgrade as this one is graded VF-30, my other is graded F-15.

1820O101obv2.jpg

1820O101rev2.jpg

I can't see the die crack in the lower leaves, so I am going with O-101. (shrug)

On 2/3/2018 at 6:22 PM, 123cents said:

1878-S.jpg

1878-SS.jpg

I always wonder,  when I see a trade dollar this worn, if this one made it overseas a time or two.

Great looking coin. (thumbsu

I think 1876-S is a pretty common date, so with the damage I wouldn't submit it as the grading fee would be a pretty big percentage of the value of the coin.

8 hours ago, Brian Gallagher said:

can someone please tell me if it is worth submitting this 1876 s trade dollar for grading with the damage on the obverse

clearly someone scratched their initials in the face of the coin. any opinion is welcome since I am very new to the coin world

Sun Feb 11 02-14-59.jpg

Since these grade with chop marks....... it's just like a chop mark

3 hours ago, numisport said:

Since these grade with chop marks....... it's just like a chop mark

Graffiti is not the same as a chop mark. 

To me, they are both damage and should both get a details grade. 

However, the TPGs are ok with chopmarks, they are not okay with graffiti. This is a low grade common damaged coin, not worth sending in. 

2 hours ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

Graffiti is not the same as a chop mark. 

To me, they are both damage and should both get a details grade. 

However, the TPGs are ok with chopmarks, they are not okay with graffiti. This is a low grade common damaged coin, not worth sending in. 

I cant believe they grade with chopmarks. My comment was meant to be a jab at grading philosophy. lol

This one arrived in the mail yesterday, has the type of toning I like.  If any of you brave souls would like to attempt to attribute this one, please have at it!

1827p50cobv.jpg

1827p50crev.jpg

I am thinking O-131, but that is subject to change with more study.

Edit: I have decided to stick with that answer.

Edited by Just Bob

3 hours ago, mumu said:

s-l1600.jpg

Nice grab. Just shows to go ya that grade can be almost meaningless sometimes. Might be worth more in a Star holder but you wont sell that coin anyway !

Edited by numisport

Yeah I bought it as a keeper. Paid a stiff premium for it but it fills a long time hole for me at 22p. The 62+ grade doesn't matter much on that year. It will stay in PCGS as a reminder to them that "ALL peace dollars with color are AT".

Edited by mumu