• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,879 posts in this topic

Yeah, there's a couple black spots... and I just looked and the eagle's breast is very worn. Where's the fingerprint? There's toning around something that looks like a print, but maybe not exactly a print.

The images of your raw Morgan have me concerned about the color on the reverse, however you say they are not accurate.

Oh, really? MAN... I got it from a reputable source, and it's not you can see the tone the whole time, just at the right angle under certain light.

The toning does look a little off to me as well.....might look different if the picture was shot straight on or if we had the coin in hand but right now...........I am leaning towards AT...sorry Chad sorry.gif

I'm telling you, the coin is a really dark forest green in hand, but when tilted it shows the colors. It is raw, maybe it is AT. In that case, what should I do?

I don't think any of us can determine AT or NT with 100% accuracy from the images provided.......but.....you might start by contacting the original seller to get his thoughts and or see about his return policy. It doesn't seem like an expensive coin so even if you find out it's AT (not stating it is for sure) then I would consider it a cheap lesson learned. When you can start to determine AT vs NT with a high probability 80% to 90% then return to raw coins.....otherwise I always recommend sticking with certified material. thumbsup2.gif

I actually got it in a trade. I know nothing about AT, but I trusted the guy and thought he would have told me if it was AT. I still think I made a good trade, and I like the coin even if it is AT.

As Shane has written, it is truly impossible for us to tell you 100% that that coin is AT, especially given that you say that the color is remarkably different in-hand. However, as many of us have written, that look is often found on AT Morgans. Is it truly AT? Who knows. confused-smiley-013.gif

I actually got it in a trade. I know nothing about AT, but I trusted the guy and thought he would have told me if it was AT. I still think I made a good trade, and I like the coin even if it is AT.

I think that's the most important thing here and again.....learning how toning develops and learning the appropriate color sequences of toning will help you determine AT vs NT a high percentage of the time. I copied your image and blew it up on my computer and I just can't figure out how the color progression would get that way becuase you have some dark blues and purples next to some yellow golds and that's not a normal progression....we are missing the light blue and rose colors for one....similar to these:

shane1881s.jpg

shanecolorful1885o.jpg

86PObv.jpg

The person who swapped might not have been dishonest in anyway....he simply might not have the appropriate skills sets to effectively determine AT/NT himself?

Here is my most recent acquisition, courtesy of board member Mikeinfl; Thanks a ton Mike! thumbsup2.gif It's a great addition to my type set.

1854LgCtOBV.jpg

1854LgCtREV.jpg

Zach

The coin was indeed AT. I used some warm soapy water and that removed some tone, then I used some heptane and that took care of most of the rest. Ahh well... Lesson learned, I guess.

The coin was indeed AT. I used some warm soapy water and that removed some tone, then I used some heptane and that took care of most of the rest. Ahh well... Lesson learned, I guess.

Yep it's going to happen.....we all run across coins we think are legit only to find out that they aren't as they appear. I bought 2 coins at FUN this year that I thought might be real...50/50 shot.......I should them to other TCCS members and was quickly told there weren't legitimate so.............even folks that focus on toned coins can't tell 100% of the time. Just go to shows and look at as many toned coins as you can and get a feel for the right colors and wrong colors and make sure you pay close attention to toning on different denominations. They don't all tone the same way so looking at lots of coins will help you figure out the right look and the wrong look. thumbsup2.gif

1207140-DSC01892b.JPG1207140-DSC01897b.JPG

I absolutely love this! Since I still need one for my type set, I admit that I'm just a little envious. thumbsup2.gif

It is so very hard to find a nice original, eye-appealing no motto Seated Dollar. Great find!!!!

lustre must be killer in hand.... but just from the hits seen I am not sure I agree with MS67... but I have not seen the coin in hand so... on a side note it seems to be a nice RPM

I thought it was an RPM at first but it looks more like a DDR. confused-smiley-013.gif

What makes you think that?

RPM = Repunched Mintmark

I am now One short of the Full 70's set after this purchase - I am sorry I will NOT spend 2500.00 for a 81' type 2 SBA its just not right smile.gif

This one was a pretty penny but 1 of 15 I was pretty happy at a few hundred LESS than the last one sold at ...

033a.jpg

Edited by jgrinz