• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,888 posts in this topic

With all the wonderful coins that have been shown, it humbles me to post my newest but, here goes....as well as learning to photograph for the web..

flying-1857a.jpg

I like the 57 flyer alot smile.gif

if you missed it...

1921.jpg

Dang it, Bruce! That is one of the finest 1921 Peace Dollars that I have ever seen! The strike is phenominal! I'd rather have it than most 64's and 65's that are out there!

hail.gif

Thanks for the nice comments.... Color to boot, Strike is nice.. hits are the weak point. Its at NGC right now.. we shall see how it does ... wish me luck smile.gif

I am utterly fascinated with this find, Bruce. Amazing! Where did you get it from if I may be so bold in asking?

an Antique shop of all places... just a WOW find at the price I got it at

Ok now that you all have dropped your mouth's open ... hehe j/k ok maybe some of yall did. It pays too look around smile.gif

That makes more sense! I've only seen overpriced junk at antique stores.

Although I did purchase a nice original VF Petite head large cent once but gave it away to a YN. I still have that hole to fill in my Dansco album.

So givin what the peace Dollar is Strike, Color, Overall.. What kinda premuim would you pay for this coin? 10%? 30%? Lets just say it comes back MS 62... or at best MS 63*... My lucky find for the year..

chinook ...is the a PR66? Stunning coin and looks exceptionally clean.....WOW hail.gif

cloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gif

Yup. There were 2 obverse dies used in 1873. One comes with deep mirrors the other is more satiny. This one has great mirrors.

You know, chinook, it's terrible to admit this but I always cringe when I see you post to this thread as I expect another fabulous coin to have been salted away forever! Christo_pull_hair.gif

Since that's the case, here's the coin I bought just before the half dime posted previously and that you were able to inspect sight-seen at Baltimore. devil.gif

1204554-B1914P64RB.jpg

1204554-B1914P64RB.jpg.a1b002ed6bbc52fbaeb8fe9360b9067f.jpg

chinook ...is the a PR66? Stunning coin and looks exceptionally clean.....WOW hail.gif

cloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gif

Yup. There were 2 obverse dies used in 1873. One comes with deep mirrors the other is more satiny. This one has great mirrors.

I wouldn't have been shocked if you told me it was a 67....very clean and PQ for the grade from what I can see....quite lovely 893applaud-thumb.gif

You know, chinook, it's terrible to admit this but I always cringe when I see you post to this thread as I expect another fabulous coin to have been salted away forever! Christo_pull_hair.gif

I feel the same way. That signature line will just keep getting longer, and longer, and longer . . . . No sympathy for you though, Tom, after posting that 1914 1c.

Since that's the case, here's the coin I bought just before the half dime posted previously and that you were able to inspect sight-seen at Baltimore. devil.gif

1204554-B1914P64RB.jpg

Ouch!!!! Right in the heart. grin.gif

Here are a few that might hit you below the belt. 893whatthe.gifdevil.gifgrin.gif

180425c10.jpg

1800halfcent58.jpg

1795125.jpg

1795halfdime40.jpg

thanks, it's a thin one. Hard to find history on these Norse medals!

history in description

The mintage for the thick was actually 34,750 struck on various days in May of 1925 with 6000 of the thins struck over three separate days in May. They sold for just over a buck apiece at the time. There were also golds struck at the time which bring a pretty penny today. However, many were whizzed and acid treated to simulate the original matte finish. These bring a substantially reduced price.

These medals are no longer as popular as they once were. These were once extremely popular with the old-time classic commem collectors. They have faded from memory in the past 20 years but will probably see an upsurgence with the popularity of so called dollars and medals increasing with the new found exposure on e-bay. Regardless, this is a magnificent medal designed by the famed James Earl Fraser.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I remember five or six years ago, the market for norse medals was $50 for BU thicks, and $100 for BU thins. As soon as NGC and PCGS started graded these medals, the market took off as they were promoted. Same with HK medals. While not being very "rare", the thins are scarce when not abused. The thicks are very common, and overrated pricewise. PCGS65 thicks are priced at $500 and thins at $800, which is unrealistic. Meanwhile NGC64 thicks are about $250 and thins are $400. Commem medals are cool, but not rare, unless you have a special medal.

Truthteller 8-1-05

I've been wanting a nice matte proof Lincoln for a few years now. Unfortunately, reading these boards has ruined my chances of ever getting one. A few years ago I would have settled for a nice spot free example. Now I want one with purty colors and they are all locked away in dark vaults never to see the light of day again.

Ah, I couldn't afford one of those anyway. sorry.gif

Tom, that half dime is a killer too and one I would love to have in my collection. Unfortunately, I'd have to sell all of my other bust half dimes to get one like it.

Beautiful coins all around. thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Chinook!!!!!!!!! flamed.gifflamed.gifflamed.gifflamed.gifflamed.gif

You and I should sign a nuclear non-proliferation treaty so as to nip this in the bud. After all, you're killing me! grin.gif As a token of my extended olive branch, here's a nice little 1912 matte proof to look at.

1206184-B1912P65BN.jpg

1206184-B1912P65BN.jpg.2e2228844432c3203166bf96c37e8017.jpg

Mike, I saw that Norse on Adrian's site for a while and I was sooooo close to buying it. Now you make me wish I didn't hesitate. sorry.gif

Nice purchase! smile.gif

I apologize for so many consecutive posts but you can blame that chinook! wink.gif893whatthe.gifinsane.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif

Thanks for the kind words, RGT, but again, chinook is the human matte proof vacuum cleaner around here and I can only claim a handful of these gems as my own. The half dime is also truly nice, and these are actually more reasonably priced than one might think, given their age.

Your Franklin looks like it has nice frost to it. To tell you the truth, I always thought these looked less like Bugs Bunny and more like a mini-Hitler mustache. I know, that is terrible, but it is what it looks like to me.