• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,890 posts in this topic

@80s Kid:

I'll be the first to admit it. I cheated! Using my thumb and forefinger I enlarged the one coin, raw, which cannot be seen. Holy cow! And you make no mention of it at all as though it were found in a parking lot. You are a contender, my friend! Everything else, nice, as they all are, took a back seat to that Lincoln Cent whose date I dare not mention! Congratulations!  (worship)

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Attribution to the contributor.

On 9/15/2022 at 4:27 PM, Lem E said:

Got this one in today. Surprisingly low pop on this one at 3/0 and 6 step coins at 7/0. I think everyone at that time was focussed on the special finish coins. There are plenty of those out there. I feel lucky that I found this one. 95B717EB-7B57-4634-9C0D-01680BBB2AF1.thumb.jpeg.961235a3ff436e44b22b89ce751d2e60.jpeg71CF8981-8D76-48E3-B0D7-0B078EBC1317.thumb.jpeg.9bdf1af7f0eb70e6ba510f1144a7f1fa.jpeg 

Congratulations on your most recent catch!  I have a 2/0 coin but it's a 🐓 and they don't count.  :roflmao:

To fellow members @Lem E and @The Neophyte Numismatist:  As long as you are both in it, to win it, I would like to politely suggest you check out, if you haven't done so already, a step-related thread, "Is this coin worth submitting for a regrade?" You will find fine examples of the step phenomena as well as a quick distillation of a Coin Week article I made reference to: "United States 1943-S Jefferson Nickel, dated Sept. 14, 2022, which includes an indispensable  feature, entitled: "To earn the designation of FS a Jefferson nickel must meet the following criteria:"  I have never seen Wartime Nickels as fine as yours!  Great stuff!

On 9/24/2022 at 5:02 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

@ShinyObjects:

Enquiring minds want to know if you can tell what this coin is made of, i.e., composition, visually?

The coin is predominantly white(Nickel) with a copper hue to it.  It weighs 2.3 grams.

The Real story...

A:  Hey, B.  You work the nite shift, right?

B:  Yeah, what's up?

A:  Guy wants me to run this through dimes.

B:  No problem, but what about the color?

A.  Don't worry about that. I've got something lined up.

B.  What about Smitty (the roving guard?)

A.  Bathroom break.

B.  Sounds good to me. We're on!

[I, Q.A., respectfully defy anyone to explain to me, in terms I can understand, how this could have happened without inside help.]

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Addition of "to me." Correct typo.

@Coinbuf:

Your 1883, if memory serves, was the year gold-platers practiced their art. The picture is vintage, absolutely up to par, and the coin is deserving of a high grade reflecting evidence of original mint luster.  I love the way the A and M in AMERICA have joined hands.  :makepoint: