• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My first ancient I've ever bought "Lucinius I" - Did I do okay?

3 posts in this topic

Today, I broke down and bought my first ancient. I'm crossing my fingers that I got something real. I like the dealer that I bought it from and I've talked with him numerous times.

The coin is documented as Licinius I, 308-324 AD (AE - copper? bronze?) "follis" with Jupiter on the reverse. It's a Sear 3798 (right attribution?). He thought it noted it as XF, but both of us taking a good look at it seem to feel it's a nice AU. It's about 7/8 inch in diameter. The white spot next to his nose is on the scan and not on the coin. However, there is a little bit of green (corrosion) on the reverse that I felt I can overlook (but I never would on a U.S. coin) due to its age and state of preservation.

What do you think fair value for this coin is (wholesale and retail)?

Since it's my first...please be gentle!

Licinius%20I%20-%20324%20AD%20-%20Obverse.jpg

Licinius%20I%20-%20324%20AD%20-%20Reverse.jpg

It looks real to me and I have collected ancients since 1971. These cins used to be worth a lot more than they are now since bronzes from the mid 200s o the mid 300s seems to have appeared in abundance in the last 15 years or so.

In 1985 that coin would easily be a $50 (low) to $100 (high) retail. Now I suspect you can find them for about $20 (low) to $60 (high) retail. Maybe a little less on eBay. It seems that ones a little less nice are on eBay very cheap.

Collecting ancients now is a good time due to the relatively low prices on a lot of stuff. (Some earlier pieces, epscially in high quality grade/style have maintained or increaed in value though).

I hope you paid a fair price and keep collecting, they are a fun field!