• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gasp - an overdate trade dollar?

9 posts in this topic

1185123-18887date2.jpg

1185125-TradeOVD.jpg

For me, the most compelling argument in favor of an OVD on the cent was the fact that I had never seen a die chip on another coin that could pass for the butt of a 7. Now I have. Hmmm. Paul?

Yes - an S mint. The surfaces look funky to me, but it's probably just the pic.

Two things come to mind - first, this is proof positive that a die chip can end up in just the right location. Second, the IHC protrusion is much smoother and more rounded than the Trade Dollar's, so that could count for something.

And, no - I still don't believe either is an overdate. wink.gif

Nice work TDN!!!.

I still have to find a nice Unc 1887, get a good pic of the date and get to the bottom of this controversy.

You'll never persuade anybody who paid $85,000 for the coin that it's not an overdate (at least I think that's the amount that Paul mentioned). In fact, market forces will never allow it to be anything other than an overdate. It's a "market acceptable" OVD.