• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PCGS assigning variety numbers...

4 posts in this topic

I've noticed on the new PCGS submission forms (online) that they are offering variety numbers as a submission service. This is new, and it looks like they are only doing a limited service for VAMs right now. However, it sounds like they will be expanding their services in the future...

Linky for PCGS Variety Service FAQ

Hoot

Boy, it's about time! They have severely lagged behind NGC and especially ANACS and SEGS in this regard, and I've never gotten a good explanation as to why. Good for PCGS!

James

Boy, it's about time! They have severely lagged behind NGC and especially ANACS and SEGS in this regard, and I've never gotten a good explanation as to why.

I'd completely agree - about time, and why the long-time reluctance? I hope they sieze the opportunity and do it right. It would be nice if they would expand their service into some new realms, such as Wexler, Wiley, and all of the recognized CONECA varieties, but that'll likely never happen. tongue.gif

Hoot

I can guess at and understand the reluctance. They will now have to grade coins according to variety, and not by type, which takes a lot more skill and effort (and therefore costs money and lowers profit margin). The truth is, PCGS is (was) in the market of making widgets. Now, they'll have to learn one of the most difficult aspects of grading, which is taking into account striking characteristics pertinent to specific die-varieties.

It could get interesting..... popcorn.gif

James