• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the big differences between NGC & PCGS?

5 posts in this topic

What is the difference between NGC & PCGs besides that they are two different grading/certifying companies. Does it just boil down to collectors preference?

Also is there a big difference between joining the Collectors Society or the ANA, I only collect US coins?

thanks

Sully

PCGS and NGC have slightly different grading standards for some coin series (such as Full Bell Lines on Franklin halves, for example), but other than that, I think you have to focus on the individual coins.

The ANA publishes its own magazine and offers some discounted books/insurance to its members, whereas the Collectors Society offers access to the grading service (and free grading, depending on the level you join at, I think). It depends on what your goals are whether you join one or the other.

From the buyer's perspective, the biggest difference you will see is in market perception. Coins encapsulated by PCGS may cost you more, and they may sell for more than NGC-graded coins. But this perception changes from series to series. That niche occupied by NGC seems to be more stable and reliable than that of PCGS.

But for the coin collector, these perceptions are not useful, and not important.

What's important is that both companies are outstanding with regard to authentication. NGC has a major edge in variety attribution. And for me, NGC's grading guarantee carries far more weight than PCGS', but that's based on my personal experience.

If you buy coins that YOU enjoy in either holder, you really can't go wrong, unless you paid stupid money for so-called "grade rarities", in which case, the brand of holder doesn't matter at all.

James

I don't think it's just perception-- if you don't know how to grade a particular series. The market seems to be reflecting the average actual quality of the coins as seen by knowledgable experts. --I think I know several series very well, but when it came to putting some mint sets together, I found I was buying some of the coins I had zero idea how to grade--and zero desire to learn. That's where you need a good dealer relationship more than a prejudice on either PCGS vs. NGS grading/market perception. The quality is very different between denominations IMHO. blush.gif