• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please help a newbie identify a coin.. or three ;)

9 posts in this topic

I'm a comics guy as you can tell by the avatar so go easy on me wink.gif

My family has a very small and informal coin collection, we don't even consider ourselves coin collectors. But, of our coins, it seems to me that these three might have some value? I'm more interested in just knowing what they are, though, as I don't want to sell.

The gold peices are English (?) and dated 1966 and 1974. The large silver (?) peice is dated 1626 (?) - this is the one I'm really curious about. What the heck is it?

Please see attachment.

43946-coins.jpg.ca4c613b26bf0a91fea285e89c18b99b.jpg

I believe the gold is a British Gold sovereign. I really know nothing about these coins, but if I am correct, they have marginal value. You can check out ebay to see if you can find a similar coin to give you more of a reference of what they are going for. I have no idea about the silver. Regardless, they are real neat coins and worthy of some protection for longevity. I don't think that you need to go the slabbing route. For much less money, you can purchase a 2x2 plastic holder from intercept shield. This will protect your coin from corrosive gas damage and if you store them in an airtight container with dessicant, they will be kept in the exact same condition as they are now for many years to come.

For additional opinions, ask around at an alternative coin forum. The more the merrier:

http://www.cointalk.org/viewforum.php?f=2

Thanks a lot!!

Although surprised that the golds would have marginal value? Wouldn't the metal alone be valuable.

Like everyone else who has posted has mentioned, the gold coins look like sovereigns and are worth about melt value.

The silver coin is intriguing, partly because it's so old and still in pretty nice shape. I believe it's either a German or an Austrian Thaler, but without a decent reference I won't be able to go beyond that.

Upon further review and the realization that I had a catalog handy that goes back to the 18th century, I'm reasonably sure the silver coin is a coin from Hamburg (MONETA NOVA CIVI HAMBURGENSIS is a legend that is known on other coins from Hamburg). My guess is that it's a 2/3 Thaler, or a 32 schilling piece. No idea of the value, but it's very definitely not melt material.

The 2 British sovereigns are common coins and trade in relation to gold bullion prices. The 1626 German Hamburg 2/3 taler is a good collector coin. The Krause Publications Standard Catalog of German coins lists the value at $120.00 in fine condition and $200.00 in very fine condition. Hope this helps.