• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why use SEGS or even ANACS???

5 posts in this topic

I've usually ignored posts dealing with grading services, partly because I've had blinders on and just faithfully relied on NGC or PCGS. I also wouldn't hesitate to buy a coin holdered by ANACS, and have done so many times without concern. But when I submit coins for grading, I use either NGC or PCGS. I never used ANACS and I would never even think of using SEGS. But why? And why would anyone use ANACS or SEGS???

Part of the reason I ask is that I found a coin on ebay in a SEGS holder (AU 58) so I cannot see it in hand and have no idea about, not only their trustworthiness, but why would anyone have slabbed their coin in a SEGS holder to begin with?

-Michael

Anacs is really good with the varieties: they attribute more than anyone else. I used to really like them, and will still buy anything in the old slabs. But the new slabs, I will not touch anything in them. They are UGLY! and there are lots of reports of problems.

I like the small ANACS holders, I like their turnaround times and prices, and frankly, ANACS grading is on-part with NGC and PCGS. In fact, I've cherry-picked undergraded coins more times in ANACS holders than either of the other two.

Anyone can make a case that any particular certification service is "the best" or "the worst", but when it comes right down to it, why does it really matter that much? Collect coins!

James