• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Beating a Dead Horse?

12 posts in this topic

Before I start, YES - I know about the star designation smile.gif

As we all know Pre 1971 Cameos are much harder to come by than they are now, and Pre 1960 cameos are even scarcer.

There are 3 compelling reasons for creating a third class of Cameo designation (light Cameo) for these coins.

1. It would make it possible for more of us to actually create cameo registry sets (more fun)

2. It would recognize the huge difference between a coin with cameo frosting and a brilliant proof. (Smarter)

3. And this one is for NGC, you would make more money! just think of all the re-grading you would get! ($$$$$$$)

4. Oops, did I say three reasons, okay I will stop here, but there are dozens of great reasons for recognizing light cameo, not the least of which would be to differentiate NGC from PCGS as a leader in coin grading.

ronday

http://tradingslabs.com

"The coin trading place" foreheadslap.gif

Star can mean many things. Light Cameo only means one thing. It would have a standard etc... Star is too subjective and may not have anything to do with cameo contrast.

Light cameo? But they allready use the * designation for something like that? confused-smiley-013.gif

Generally the STAR designation is used on one sided (generally the obverse) CAMEO contemporary coins- not so much 'light cameo'.

I just went and re-read the Star designation and Braddick is 100% right. It does nothing to address Light cameo older pieces that can actually look better than full cameo and without a doubt look better than mirror white.

How do we get some traction on this issue?

Okay, here is the traction. Granted they are PCGS, but the cameo grading is the same.

See attachement to this post

1139970-H53pCompare.jpg.a8a629c793dbbd302e671ad05787dea2.jpg

I found you on the boards! Okay, I agree with Ronday only because I have seen some other pic's with descriptions etc. that didn't get the cameo description but should have got some sort of designation considering how close they had to have been. Especially with older coins. If you can have a Satin Finish (which personally I'm not all that fond of after getting ahold of my first coin with that designation), why not a extra designation for "almost cameo" coins...even if NGC did it only for Pre-1955 Coins since it should be a extra bennie to have a coin in that type of shape, that is older.

Just my thought. 893blahblah.gif

Light cameo? But they allready use the * designation for something like that? confused-smiley-013.gif

Generally the STAR designation is used on one sided (generally the obverse) CAMEO contemporary coins- not so much 'light cameo'.

Here is my 1892 PR 65 Barber Half with a light cameo'd obverse and toned blue reverse. It is a solid 65 but didn't receive a star for the light cameo.

1143877-1892BARBERHALFOBVERSE.jpg

1143877-1892BARBERHALFOBVERSE.jpg.b8c12d49953e5b7efd02782cde855a7a.jpg

Here is my 1892 PR 65 Barber Half with a light cameo'd obverse and toned blue reverse. It is a solid 65 but didn't receive a star for the light cameo.

1143877-1892BARBERHALFOBVERSE.jpg

What cameo? insane.gif

I went to a coin show the other day and saw a whole bin of pcgs and NGC Franklins from the 60's with OBVIOUS cameos Obv and reverses. Not one had a cameo designation (hence the bargain bin) why is this happening. I am not talking about subtle cameos here I am talking about screaming in your face, my wife who hates coins can see the cameo in poor light!

This trip to the coin show has convinced me more than ever that:

WE NEED A THIRD CAMEO GRADE!