• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New to Grading Coins with a grading company

2 posts in this topic

Ok, Dumb question? I have only one graded coin a 1964 1c PF 67 RD (NGC). I have been collecting since I been about 13, I'm 59 now. My question is do I start getting all my coins, sets and Commemoraties graded. What will this do for my collection.

Being all my sets and commemoraties come from the Mint with "Certificate of Authenticity" and sealed in a case. Will NGC grading make my Collection the better than the mint cases. I have figure out that NGC grading will be better for my single coins because the grading system looks like its changed from my early years of collecting and some of my AU's & Unc's may not be what they say. My real question is it worth taking the sets and commemoraties out of the cases and sending to NGC.

I really would like some input into this

Thanks

Fred Kunchick AMSOIL T1 Certified Account Direct

Pennsauken, Camden County, New Jersey

http://www.lubedealer.com/kunchick/

Sounds like you've got a lot of coins that you've collected over the years! Look at it this way. The coins you've been collecting are fine for collecting, it's just that they don't come with a grade that is accepted by most individuals when buying or selling a coin. That would be the purpose of certifying your coins with NGC. It would take out the guessing of what the grade is for a particular coin.

Now as to whether you should certify your whole collection? That's up to you. It would be an expensive task. In my particular case, I have been going back and certifying key coins in sets and coins that I feel are extremely beautiful or demand the need to be registered because of their value.

Another reason to register coins is for putting together registry sets. While I can only dream of having a set of coins that would be good enough to compete with some of the other registry sets that are assembled here, it is fun to assemble the sets and to compete with others.

If nothing else once your coins are graded you will have the satisfaction of knowing that they are protected in a holder and have been graded by the best third party grading service in the business.

Greg