• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can anyone explain to me what a 'splash' is?

13 posts in this topic

In this case it looks like they are talking about something that literally splashed onto the coin surface???? A Bright Brassy splash seems to be the adjective they used to describe the spot. Of course I could be completly wrong but that's how I am reading the description. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It seems quite a few of these coins have similar issues which they call 'splash'. I'm wondering, yes, did something splash on, or is it a term used to describe spots that appear like somethings splashed, or is it some copper terminology thing? what causes it? how often and when do you see it? etc...

Almost looks like someone tried to paint or gild the crown, although I'm sure ANR would have said that had it been the case. Weird.

Hoot

Looks like epoxy or brass splashed on it and turned hard.. or adhesive...Wonder what it is hiding? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Edited : Of course a splash would indicate something liquid or something was flowing dripped or splashed on the coin. That spot is not consistent with flowing material.

I've had the pleasure to have dealt quite a few of these coins over the years. They're absolutely WONDERFUL from the historic standpoint.

The "splash" is the little spot of brass you see on the crown. The coins were struck with little piece of brass in place, with the purpose of "splashing" the brassy-gold color over the crown motif. There was a time while these circulated when the ignorant believed the splash was made of gold, and could be pried out and sold for bullion value. Therefore, there are many of these coins that lack the original splash.

James

By the way, I would consider this only an "average" example. It is somewhat worn, and though these were struck on incredibly lousy planchets, this coin lacks some of the robe detail that I would prefer, even with the tradeoff of a lesser planchet. The grade seems a bit high to me; I'd grade it "Fine".. One other thing - there are literally many hundreds of varieties, and any "Griffee" number is going to be "elusive". Do not pay a premium for the "rarity" of any given variety.

James

Really interesting stuff. James, what do you say about the 'gilding' on this one? Is is original to the coin--did they gild these coins? and with what? or is it something done at a later date?

gilding

thanks

Michael

The "splash" is the little spot of brass you see on the crown. The coins were struck with little piece of brass in place, with the purpose of "splashing" the brassy-gold color over the crown motif. There was a time while these circulated when the ignorant believed the splash was made of gold, and could be pried out and sold for bullion value. Therefore, there are many of these coins that lack the original splash.

James

I Learn something new every day. Thanks James ! thumbsup2.gif

To my understanding, this "gilding" should really be considered post-mint damage. It would be akin to, say, someone dropping a bit of solder on a coin.

The "splashes" had no gold content at all.

James

it seems whenever a dealer uses the word splash, at least in my experience, it's a nice way to say "ugly mark"--i.e. just a "splash" of toning or something like that.--they seem never to use it when the mark is attractive (like pretty toning).