• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

please grade me and tell me why you graded me this way........................

19 posts in this topic

Definitely not my area of expertise, as well, but she does bear a striking resemblance to Marianne. smile.gif The obverse denticles between 4 & 8 o'clock appear to be weak. Is the rim in that area obscured by a holder, or what? I think it is better than that, Victor.

AU50

Chris

Hi Michael -- I don't know this series, so I went out and became an expert just for you. wink.gif The photo shows the wear quite well, but the quality of the surfaces remains a mystery. I'll assume that it hasn't been cleaned; and, if that's the case, I grade the coin $1,000.00.

My first reaction is that if I'm buying it's VF35, if I'm selling it's EF40. Either way, it appears to be a nice coin without significant handling marks or signs of abuse. In truth, the peculiarities of this series make me think at least EF45 since these were generally sturck poorly save for the early proofs.

Those who value this coin at $1,000 or so are not really in the ballpark as this coin would sell for a much more aggressive price than that.

all great responses thanks!! and good responses thumbsup2.gif from the poor photos which is all we gots on here

tomb thumbsup2.gif you are an extremely smart and intitutive young man

and you hit the nail right on the head

pcgs xf45 with claims to au

and this coin original skinned with really good semi proofliike surfaces and great lustre for an au

wouod easily sell for more than double 1000.00 in this current market

maybe 190 or less known of the 1864 three dollar gold

Thank you for this most excellent giveaway, Michael! 893whatthe.gif Since I was the first with not only the correct grade, but also the correct price range and reasons why, I expect the coin to be mailed to me shortly. grin.gif Please use Registered Mail and insure for the full amount. Thanks again! wink.gif

acclaim.gifacclaim.gifacclaim.gifacclaim.gifacclaim.gifacclaim.gifacclaim.gifacclaim.gifacclaim.gifacclaim.gif

Thank you for this most excellent giveaway, Michael! 893whatthe.gif Since I was the first with not only the correct grade, but also the correct price range and reasons why, I expect the coin to be mailed to me shortly. grin.gif Please use Registered Mail and insure for the full amount. Thanks again! wink.gif

acclaim.gifacclaim.gifacclaim.gifacclaim.gifacclaim.gifacclaim.gifacclaim.gifacclaim.gifacclaim.gifacclaim.gif

Dear Michael,

My boss, TomB the Zombie , was so taken at winning the contest that he forgot to give you his change of address. I will be sending the address change to you so that this beautiful prize does not get lost in the mail. Please wait until you hear from me.

Very truly yours,

Overworked and Underpaid

Dear Michael,

My boss, TomB the Zombie , was so taken at winning the contest that he forgot to give you his change of address. I will be sending the address change to you so that this beautiful prize does not get lost in the mail. Please wait until you hear from me.

Very truly yours,

Overworked and Underpaid

You mean: overplaying and overrich? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

michael-----I feel so very cheated. I had to store in some dry wood on the day you posted this lovely 3 dollar coin. Snow storm was coming and I wanted to be ready. Was looking at my normal stuff and just did not want to take the time at that moment to respond. I was too tired that night to even get on the computer. So, as with all things, when I got back to it finally----you had already posted the answer. So---just wanted to say that it looked a real nice 'original skinned' coin. I cannot tell you how surprised I am at it's current value. When I was playing with gold about 30 years ago, this coin could have been had for peanuts compared to today's costs. Time sure has been good to those who could keep the nice stuff over time. Also wanted to tell you that, regardless of future money values, I would always keep a nice 'old' gold piece over 'any' modern coin----as per your question on the PCGS boards. It is not that I have anything against modern stuff but I'm afraid I just like the "OLD" stuff----regardless of what it is. And you are 100% right about Tom B. He is a 'right on the ball' kind of guy. From what I can tell about both of you---Not much gets by either of you. Have a nice day. Bob [supertooth]

bob i want to thank you for the sincere nice comments i needed it and also the friendship on these here boards

tomb is extremely astute and will never lie or put one over on you he is extremely smart and also honest an extremely rare combo in the coin game

the sheets and price guides are way behind on this stuff and yes thirty years ago 1976 yes this and even everything was cheap!!! and cheap with even less than 100 known in xf and above flamed.gif i guess not many collectors like now

but remember later date liberty proof twenty dollar gold in gem proof where only a few thousand dollars and now gem proofs strong cameo are 100k++ coins 893whatthe.gif

i mean choice xf flowing hair dollars were a couple of hundred dollars and today they are 15k coins

great opportunity value eye appealling scarce historical coins only get better cloud9.gif