• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thursday At Long Beach

16 posts in this topic

Definitely worth the trip. Saw lots of forum people. Enjoyed speaking and looking over a few Seated quarters coins with Tom Killian. Also had a great conversation with Greg and Jammin' James. We talked about some of our 'favorite' coin people.

Also saw Jom, who like everyone else I saw, was in good spirits.

The coins - Lots and lots of Morgans, and not quite as many Walkers, as usual.

The bourse floor was busy. From what I saw on the floor, I think Heritage employs more people than Walmart; it looks like they brought half of the population of Texas to work at their table.

Lots of high end buffalo nickels were available. Don Rinkor had an impressive spread of Seated and Trade $s. Mike Bobb (Mike's Coin Chest) had a collector's set of Bust $s on display which was not for sale. You needed sunglasses to see his other coins, they were that flashy.

Rick Snow had his usual impressive spread of Flyers and IHCs. Ditto re J.H. Cline and his Standers. High end copper type was scarce. Red copper even moreso.

If you want to sell a family member (one that you like) or take out a mortgage on your house, some high end Draped Bust Dimes were available.

Two well-known sets of high end Liberty Nickels (PC 6s) are either on the market now, or will be sold at Baltimore. Am not sure how this is affecting their pricing. High end Seated type seemed available.

High end Barber coinage was available, PF coinage moreso than business strikes. For the last several years, I have been looking for either a better date Barber Half in 5 or a type coin in 6. I wound up making sure my tetanus shot was current after handling most of them.

I actually found four of them that weren't ugly - which slightly less rare than winning the lottery. The nicest one I think was in the Heritage auction, and it looks like I was the high bidder on the lot (nice when I can find a coin I like after a two year search).

cool.gif Edited - late breaking news. I thought I got the coin, but I just checked auction results and I am SOL. Looks like more $ will go into Exxon Mobil stock...

Was at the ANR table, where I was able to briefly chat with Mark Feld. He was as busy as I am in early April, but nevertheless was kind enough to answer a few questions I had. I also saw Truthteller, and I want to thank him for imparting some words of wisdom. Between him and Mark Feld, I have never been sorry for any coin purchase I have made, and I am truly appreciative of their counsel.

Elcontador's favorite beautiful woman at the show ( I might be old, but I'm not dead) was Melissa Karstedt. However, some of the Capped Bust Halves in the ANR case were just as attractive in a numismatic sort of way. smile.gif

The most perversely amusing moment at the show took place when I was at the U.S. Coin table. Some guy came up and loudly insulted how PCGS graded Saints. He didn't realize that David Hall was maybe three feet behind him.

The most perversely amusing moment at the show took place when I was at the U.S. Coin table. Some guy came up and loudly insulted how PCGS graded Saints. He didn't realize that David Hall was maybe three feet behind him.

Then again, maybe he did! blush.gif

Must have been Greg. smirk.gif

Subtle as the midday sun. makepoint.gif

Hoot

High end Barber coinage was available, PF coinage moreso than business strikes. For the last several years, I have been looking for either a better date Barber Half in 5 or a type coin in 6. I wound up making sure my tetanus shot was current after handling most of them.

I actually found four of them that weren't ugly - which slightly less rare than winning the lottery.

27_laughing.gif

Great report! thumbsup2.gif

Hoot

Good report. It sounds as though nice classic coins are still tough to find. Better date Barber halfs are always tough. Most (even high grade ones) are doggy looking. I have been looking for a 10-S for two years and have only seen one MS64 that I liked and the auction price was outragious. Would like to match 1910-P, MS64 as shown.

10-PBarberhalf.jpg10-PBarberHalfRev.jpg

Ouch,what happened after that? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Ouch,what happened after that? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

He was last seen being shoved into a duffle bag made out of old hawaiian shirts...

Ouch,what happened after that?

I pretended not to have noticed the incident and continued asking about coins.

I was kinda wondering what/if David Hall or the other guy did or said... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Nice report Jeff, thanks for taking the time to type it up.

I was pleasently surprized that you actually found more than one coin of intersest. So often you leave with nothing but your moey's worth from your most recent tetinus shot. 27_laughing.gif

Hayden, the guy kept going on and on about how PCGS didn't know how to grade Saints. When told discreetly by someone working at the table that David Hall was three feet away, the guy just kept carrying on as if he either didn't hear the woman, or if he didn't care; I'm really not sure which.

James - the upside was that I did find more than one coin of interest. The downside was the one of them was more richly priced than I wanted to pay, the other was an auction coin on which I was outbid. Still, a worthwhile outing.

James - the upside was that I did find more than one coin of interest. The downside was the one of them was more richly priced than I wanted to pay, the other was an auction coin on which I was outbid. Still, a worthwhile outing.

Rats, I though you were looking good on the auction coin. frown.gif

Hayden, the guy kept going on and on about how PCGS didn't know how to grade Saints. When told discreetly by someone working at the table that David Hall was three feet away, the guy just kept carrying on as if he either didn't hear the woman, or if he didn't care; I'm really not sure which.

I remember talking to a fellow dealer about the Ohio scandal and the folks involved at a past Long Beach show. The dealer started ripping into one of the entities, not knowing that one of the scandal dealers was set up right behind him. It was hilarious looking at the scandal dealer making faces when his name was mentioned, much like someone who has constipation.

TRUTH

Must have been Greg. smirk.gif

Subtle as the midday sun. makepoint.gif

Hoot

Nope, it wasn't me. I asked him "how many people he [embarrassing lack of self control] today".

While I know that David Hall would not like to hear negative opinions about PCGS, it is these opinions he should be seeking out. That's the best way to make your business stronger.