• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scary stuff

14 posts in this topic

I noticed this guy has a ton of auctions going right now for some really great looking coins. He starts them off at cheap prices but doesn't mention a grading service. I was tempted to bid on one or two myself. I didn't catch that he was using stolen photos.

All of these auctions end today. It looks like one huge scam, if all the photos are stolen.

After a quick search I found 3-4 other coins he's "selling" with pictures stolen from Goldberg's auctions.

What's the quickest way to report this fraud to ebay?

Ebay in and of itself isn't the problem.

As with most things, caveat empor.

I find good coins on EBay, at a reasonable price, from respectable sellers.

The unfortunate part is that those finds represent less than 1/4 of the sellers.

Most of EBay is populated with scam artists, swindlers, folks trying to make a fast buck with deceptive selling techniques. Buyers just need to know what they are looking for, understand what they are dealing with on EBay, and enter into auctions wisely. Experienced buyers will do fine....its the newbies to EBay and the people that really dont know the true market value of the coins they buy that get the short end of the stick so often. I will pretty much only buy certified coins on Ebay simply because I trust strangers to grade appropriately. Any raw coin I buy I immediately assume G-VG, regardless of claims, pictures, or anything else.

Its what you make of it.

Another method would be the email to a friend function. email a copy to the other party.

I used to buy a lot on eBay. Now I spend more time there sniffing around for crooks. Unfortunately for me I have found most of them by double checking there feed back after they done stuck it in me. Ouch! My worst experience was when I was a newbie, maybe 8 FB with the yellow star. I lost $2710.84. The guy never even left me feedback. And to this day I wonder if maybe he wasn’t working for eBay.

acclaim.gifFor the record, I totally disagree with any kind of criminal activity, whether it be on eBay or elsewhere. As you will recall, I responded to Billy Crawford and his situation with crooks on eBay...

sign-rantpost.gifsign-rantpost.gifsign-rantpost.gifsign-rantpost.gifsign-rantpost.gifsign-rantpost.gifsign-rantpost.gif

I personally have been using eBay since November 2003 and have yet to deal with, talk to, and have transactions with nothing but the nicest of buyers and sellers(with the exception of one buyer and recently one seller). Most of them are small time, trying to make a buck just like the next guy. We are all human and we have ALL made mistakes (as bad as I hate to admit mine!). I have been, by far, a buyer on eBay; coins, souveniors, gifts, vehicle parts, etc. I, too, have been a seller on eBay and to a small extent take personal exception to the comments above about the number of decent sellers on the site.

I have only been using this forum for about 2 weeks, thus this is only my 14th post. Even in that short time I have noticed a tremendous amount of snide Christo_pull_hair.gif comments running through this forum about eBay. frustrated.gif eBay is a business and a *?#! good one. Meg Whitman sets atop Fortune's Top 50 list of Female Entrepeneurs.

A little freedom of speech if you will? sign-rantpost.gifsign-rantpost.gifEvery business type - I don't care if it is the Airlines (American) or the Big 3 (Ioccoca) or the Olympics (Harding/Kerrigan) or Politics (most recently House Majority Leader Tom DeLay) - I'm guessing every line of business in this country has AT LEAST one bad seed. Do you blame that business line for that bad seed? Surely not! I hope each one of us knows that criminals are criminals, not the business they either work for or own or lease or whatever. To equate this to another common misnomer, "Guns kill people". Guns don't kill people, people kill people!!!! sign-rantpost.gif I digress. sign-offtopic.gif

devil.gif893censored-thumb.gifIf you feel this strongly about the negative side of eBay, perhaps you should never use eBay for any reason ever again. Not even have an opinion about eBay except to give your bad story details to those you don't want to visit the site or to those that will listen, whichever is least .

Otherwise, I suggest you spend all of the time and negative energy distributed in this forum focusing on writing memos/emails to Meg Whitman, or trying to contact her, or otherwise trying to rid that more than 81-million-strong environment from the crooks that do exist there! 893censored-thumb.gifdevil.gif

Respectfully yet OUTSPOKENLY Yours,

Michael

I have only posted facts, I owned my own business for more than 23 years, not in the coin trade and I never ripped off anyone. And if you think that kind of behavior is acceptable because of human nature and a person wanting to make a buck, then it is no wonder you haven’t noticed any wrong doing on ebay. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a person wanting to make a buck, but everything wrong with scamming you to get it.

I never once implied nor suggested you nor anyone else in this forum scammed anyone or ripped anyone off. As I stated in the opening of my post, I deplore those crooks that try to do so. I simply stated wasted energy here could be better spent getting rid of the crooks in the world today. If I am scammed or otherwise taken advantage of, you better believe I take action, not just sit by and discuss it...

kudos to spider for the good eyes. thanks. however, i am not sure that the flaw is eBays, especially since they are very good in their fraud investigation--once someone lets them in on it. when i was a wee lad, i was sold coins from the big names that were "gem b.u." and when, years later, i sent them in to pcgs, guess what--out of 4, i got one back "cleaned" another was a 58, and two 62s. maybe not such blatant fraud, but the company still advertises in good standing in coin world. ultimately, WE have to be vigilant to ferret out the evil doers within our fine endeavor, and for that, spider should be appreciated.

THANKS

hardin2413