• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What You Need To Know----Important

78 posts in this topic

Due to an illness that has kept me from my job I have recently started to get interested in buying coins. It seems to be a way to keep busy and have fun.I have bought around 100 coins within the last year. These are coins I paid any where from $5.00 to $ 100.00 for. SO I AM A NEW B.

I have what might be a simple question.

I've noticed a lot of newer 2011 proof silver dimes that are selling on ebay for $11.00 to $15.00. These dimes are NGC graded pf70. The NGC site shows values above $50.00.

What am I missing?

Ttom

the price guide is not real accurate ,for current price trends try looking at auction archives on heritage or teletrade to see what people have actually been paying.when I bid on Washington quarters for my set I usually go about half the NGC price guide,some I win some I dont!!! hope this helps

Jason

Edited by jayman1970

An early post mentioned a Peace dollar scandal. What was it?

An artificially toned Peace Dollar ended up in an NGC slab in 2006 and was put up for sale with a huge price tag by Anaconda Rare Coins who specialized in rainbow toned coins. It was nicknamed Peacegate on the forums. I used to have a photo of the coin but I can't seem to find it anywhere. And the only thread I could find about it is linked below.

Peacegate Vote Thread on CU Forum

Perhaps Ebay is good but, my experience is Ebay is very risky. Deceitful sellers looking to cash in big time on the new collectors or those the sellers think they can schem over in some fashion. I've bought perhaps 12 coins off of Ebay in the gold series. Chiseled rim gold, several cleaned coins, overgraded, so I upped my bid dollars in an attempt to increase quality. Supposedly I was buying from 99% to 100% reputable sellers. Wrong. Cleaned coins. I've seen so many problem coins in that I think I've seen polished, cleaned with a dremel type tool wheel, and whizzed. Not to mention poor quality photos where one coin had a light but, long scratch not visable in the picture. Ebay certainly has some poor quality and intentionally photoshoped deceptive photos. Ebay has tried to make their market place a better experience for the buyer over the past 6 years I've been their but, in regards to coins they've simply not done enough. My satisfaction on Ebay has gone down significantly over the last year and I used to be an advocate of Ebay. I'll still shop their but, I think not for coins unless the return periods are of longer durations.

CLEANED COIN SELLERS WHO SAY LUMP IT! Via Ebay

JRCOINS2210

1proudpapa

Edited by slingshot

Quality! I like a few double eagles with the right mint mark and date in as high a quality as I can afford. I looked over the track record for the last 12 years and was impressed. A quick look at the price guides on the NGC and PCGS sites will reveal the mints and dates to go after. One quality piece will outperform three more common date coins for the same type and grade every time. I also look at which coins held their value the best during the most recent "not so very great" recession we are trying to crawl out of. DEs are not the only coin to consider. Pick the ones you like the most and focus on them. An average guy with a good plan will beat a genius without one every time.

I would like to assemble a nice set of Standing Liberty quarters as well but there is only so much I can get.

Can anyone please recommend software or a website for creating an inventory of my large coin collection? (>1,000).  I need a program that will accept high definition photos and allow periodic updates to information as I learn more about each variety, and possibly even allow assignment of a bar code, so that I can scan a coin in, enter information and photos, and then extract the info if I decide to sell the coin on line.  If this is not the correct forum or thread for my question, please forgive and redirect me to the appropriate place.  Thanks so much. DCP

I watch HSN and Mike Mezack all the time for entertainment only. Never buy coins from TV, newspaper ads, etc. You'll be paying too much for the coins. And expensive coins should be in PCGS or NGC holders only. ANACS lost their credibility a long time ago. They and ICG are fine for lower priced coins or circulated coins that you want graded. 

On 1/21/2006 at 6:19 PM, supertooth said:

Hello Numismatic Friends----Recently, I am sure that a lot of you have seen many unhappy collectors. We seem to be the victims of a lot of money hungry people---whether it be just simply overgrading or cleaning problems. Or the coin doctors selling various AT coins. Or maybe hairlines that were not mentioned before the sale. Or maybe just professional hype of one degree or another. In any event, my friend CTcollector and I are going to try and help all of us by starting a once a week posting entitled 'What You Need To Know'. We hope to involve all of the "regulars" here on the boards. We would like the knowledgable guys to step up and explain various topics. Start simply and explain the why or the why not. Take your subject matter and run it from the beginning collector to as far as you wish to go. In other words we would like you to 'tell it all'----to help us to understand your area of expertise. Use pictures if you care to do that. We need knowledge and we need your help. Please PM me and let me know if you are interested in writing. If we get enough interest, I will assign a date for your posting. We thought once a week on Sundays as most would have some time then. After your assigned posting, guys could make comments and ask questions at any time during the week. You can pick basically any series that you want---or any topic--- as long as it is about coins. And CTcollector and I both want to say this---"This is not to be a TPGS bashing. We are not trying to knock any TPG. We just want knowledge to be laid onto the table to help "ALL" collectors grow in the hobby". Talk about grading, cleaning, ATvs.NT, hairlines, Vams, Varieties, Patterns. Just any old thing that you really know about. A pet peeve that you have. Or just how you got into the hobby and what you have learned and how long it took you to learn it. CT and I hope that we can keep this going and that we all can learn from each other. Please respond to this post or PM me directly. I do not mind sharing what I have learned. I hope all of you feel the same way. Bob [supertooth]

FAKE COUNTERFEIT 1943 IRELAND FLORIN IS NOW SCARCE AND COLLECTIBLE

On 12/28/2006 at 4:06 PM, Bruceswar said:

Max I wish I could tell you, but if I could I would be a rich man. Nobody can predict the future. The only way to be a money maker in this hobby is to hit the books and learn all you can. You will then have an idea of what to buy that will hold its value and do well. If you want my honest opinion, coins are not to be collected for a profit, but for the fun of it. Now I know they can be worth a good bit, but unless you know what you are doing you are more than likely going to get hosed on a few deals which could offset any money you gained. The best thing is you are off to a good start by coming here. Stick around and learn all you can. I bet you will like it here.

Iam agree with you sir

On 9/25/2008 at 11:12 AM, PennyWayne-migration said:

The error is slight but noticable, so why can't I find info?

An error is different than a Variety.  An error is generally unique...specific to a single example of a coin, and happens at the time of striking.  Variety is short for "Die Variety" and as the name implies, is struck from a die with unique characteristics...so every coin struck by that coin exhibits the variety.  Documentation on varieties is easier to find as multiple examples exist.  Errors, being unique coins, are usually discussed in references in general terms, most often by the type of error.

A "struck through" error is a coin where some material or substance, often grease, cloth, a nail, or some other stray item comes between the die and planchet at the moment of striking.  There isn't much more to say about a specific example other than determining what the intervening material was.  The more unusual probably the better.   

On 11/10/2018 at 10:46 PM, Tyrock said:

I watch HSN and Mike Mezack all the time for entertainment only.

An he truly is entertaining.  It drives me nuts that people are suckered in to buying coins this way, because they are destined to become bitter about the hobby when they realize they have overpaid.  As to Mr. Mezack and his TV ilk, I am fascinated at how they manage to spin actual facts to create an impression that what they are selling are bargains.  Very slick.  Many coins can have an interesting history, beautiful appearance, a Mint State grade, and decades of age, yet still be common as dirt and basically be worth the metal they are made from.  And of course, don't let a fancy slab fool you!  How rare the slab is is totally irrelevant to most of us.  A common coin worth "X" in a rare slab is still a common coin (worth "X").

"Mike Mesack will give you advice,..."

"...selling coins on TV that look nice."

"They look shiny and new..."

" ...and he sells quite a few..."

"...It's too bad they're worth less than half price." 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Better to remember:

"Buy the coin... not the slab"

and

"Buy the Book before the coin."   

Never buy a coin off tv, or an add in a paper, etc.  Research every purchase you make.  If you think it is too good to be true, it is.  There is no such thing as "unsearched" coin rolls, 100% scam.  Coins are a hobby not an investment, if you want to buy gold bullion buy the stocks not the physical coins.  70% of high end raw coins are not in a slab because they were details graded.  (I only buy PCGS and NGC coins.) Take a grading course from PCGS or NGC, well worth your time.  Read some books and research before you really get into buying.  There are a lot of scams and fake coins on the internet.  If you dont know how to identify a cleaned coin, do some research.  If you really plan on collecting and finishing a date set of cents, nickels, dimes, dollars whatever collect the hard ones first because in 10 years when you go to finish your set you wont be able to afford them as they will be more expensive to get, you can fill in the easy ones as you go.  

Edited by benjmurts

On 1/21/2006 at 10:19 AM, supertooth said:

Hello Numismatic Friends----Recently, I am sure that a lot of you have seen many unhappy collectors. We seem to be the victims of a lot of money hungry people---whether it be just simply overgrading or cleaning problems. Or the coin doctors selling various AT coins. Or maybe hairlines that were not mentioned before the sale. Or maybe just professional hype of one degree or another. In any event, my friend CTcollector and I are going to try and help all of us by starting a once a week posting entitled 'What You Need To Know'. We hope to involve all of the "regulars" here on the boards. We would like the knowledgable guys to step up and explain various topics. Start simply and explain the why or the why not. Take your subject matter and run it from the beginning collector to as far as you wish to go. In other words we would like you to 'tell it all'----to help us to understand your area of expertise. Use pictures if you care to do that. We need knowledge and we need your help. Please PM me and let me know if you are interested in writing. If we get enough interest, I will assign a date for your posting. We thought once a week on Sundays as most would have some time then. After your assigned posting, guys could make comments and ask questions at any time during the week. You can pick basically any series that you want---or any topic--- as long as it is about coins. And CTcollector and I both want to say this---"This is not to be a TPGS bashing. We are not trying to knock any TPG. We just want knowledge to be laid onto the table to help "ALL" collectors grow in the hobby". Talk about grading, cleaning, ATvs.NT, hairlines, Vams, Varieties, Patterns. Just any old thing that you really know about. A pet peeve that you have. Or just how you got into the hobby and what you have learned and how long it took you to learn it. CT and I hope that we can keep this going and that we all can learn from each other. Please respond to this post or PM me directly. I do not mind sharing what I have learned. I hope all of you feel the same way. Bob [supertooth]