• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dreamin' of the perfect gold coin...

13 posts in this topic

If you had about $10G to spend on your dream gold coin, what would it be? For me, I'd like to have a uniquely-colored high-end (PCGS 67) Saint. I found one from a very reputable dealer whose asking price is $8,500. Or should I go for a mid-grade (63) high relief MCMVII? This is hypothetical, of course. I don't have the money...yet! ;-)

I love color and just bought a controversial piece that I posted on the "other" message board.

I've been warned by a board member to stay away from coins. But I have met some great people through this avocation and I don't want to give it up. Things are going well.

Take care,

enriched cool.gif

Thanks for the replies. I looked at the Lewis and Clark-boring design, but thanks! Having just graduated from a college in Oregon, I understand the historical significance. I don't know enough about early gold to make an intelligent purchase.

About the Saints; yes, I do know a little bit (well, it doesn't take a rocket scientist). Legend has a gorgeous PCGS 67 1928 that supposedly features awesome colors. They also happen to have a PCGS 64 1926-S! That '28 is the one I'd like to see in person...

Pardon this selfishness, but it helps me to relax and meet cool people.

Best regards,

enriched

Pardon this selfishness, but it helps me to relax and meet cool people.

That's funny... Oftentimes, when I'm discussing specific coins, I get very tense and nervous. I'm like an addict wondering how I'm going to make my next score!

(Please note the lack of a smiley!)

EVP

IMHO, I would buy the 1926-S Saint. The reason is rarity and difficulty to find a decent specimen. Of course, we all get to choose our own course and the 1928 is most likely a beautiful coin. Good luck with your collecting and welcome to the site. Cheers.

Gold coins that were minted before 1836 are a speciality all their own. I do not claim to be an expert in that area. My gold expertize is with Liberty's and Indian's. The price seems fair but that is the extent of my knowledge. Sorry.

I have also looked longingly at those two Saints on the Legend site. That would be a hard choice. The 1928 at the extreme high end of the specterm with gorgeous gold toning, and the 26S as a high grade scarcity. Good luck making that pick.

I'll take the High Relief.

smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

John

I'd go for a better date $10 Indian in gem or better. But that's just me, the Peace dollar and $10 Indian are my favorite 20th century designs. My second choice would probably be one of the rarer CC issues, in any grade.

What was I thinking?

Well, that's why I visit the message boards. I have decided to working on a type-gold set featuring several "cc" mints and perhaps other branch mints. I will also put together a "CC" Morgan set and hope to have a coin from every year. This should keep me busy indefinitely. I will bequeath this collection to one of the music schools that I've attended or some other charity-unless by some miracle I have a family someday...(I'm 41+) smirk.gif

Take care,

enriched