• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin Show Report - Parsippany, NJ

6 posts in this topic

I went to the monthly, 80-dealer show in Parsippany, NJ today. We all celebrated the first snowfall of the season overnight and early this morning, so a handful of dealers were missing and everyone was sharing their tales of driving to the show. Fortunately, there was only an inch or two of snow in the area around the show, but one dealer, Dart Coins, comes from hilly NW New Jersey, where they had several inches of snow, so he was one of the missing dealers. Overall, almost all of the tables had something on them, as the neighboring dealers spread their wares over the empty tables.

For the second time, there were a few dealers in the adjoining room (where Harco, a book and supply dealer, used to set up). I guess that Harco won't be coming to this show any more.

Unfortunately, many collectors stayed home this morning (but not the hard core!), so it was easy to get down the aisles; it's usually very hard to get down the aisles.

I didn't really see anything that caught my eye today, except an 1806 half dollar in an NGC-40 slab. It's priced a bit high (in my humble opinion) and the dealer has had it in stock for a while, but it is a nice coin - and the Bust dollars are even more expensive, so I may weaken and buy it before Draped Bust halves go up in price again.

I did have a very nice chat with Jon Lerner and talked briefly with Bustman (who gently teased me for being "only" a date collector of Bust halves, instead of taking the plunge into Overton varieties). I also had a nice chat with njcoincrank, who showed off some outrageous Hobo nickels and explained what to look for in an "original" piece.

I heard a comment or two that all the "buzz" was about FUN rather than this coming week's Baltimore show. (Perhaps everyone simply wants to get away from cold weather?)

Tony,

While Harco isn't there anymore, one of the coin dealers is now carrying books. Mostly usual stuff like the Red Book, Krause, etc., but also some more interesting titles.

You should come for the next show on Jan. 8!

Yeah Hopefully the next show. I like the show, usually sucks that you can't even get at the tables though. That book guy had a good selection. If I remember right from last year he was only there every few shows.

Tony