• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Week # 188 - Who's going to have the wrong "proof"?

11 posts in this topic

QUESTION:

Why were no proofs coined of the 1916 Barber Dime and Quarter? confused-smiley-013.gif

Good luck!

Our first place winner will receive a copy of David Lange's book "The Complete Guide to Buffalo Nickels" (second edition), signed. A prize will be given to a randomly selected participant with the correct answer.

REMINDER: The Numisma-Quest ends/ended on Saturday at midnight EST. Entries after that time will not be valid. See the Trivia Info post for more details.

When you post your answer, only the administrators can see it. Stop back each Monday. We will make all the posts visible and announce the winners .

I think it was because 1916 was a transitional year for the dimes and quarters. Barber dimes and quarters were only made for a few months before the switch to the Mercury dimes and Standing liberty quarters. The mint was busy with making trial/pattern coins for the new designs along with the new master dies.

Proofs of the 1916 cents and nickels were made since these coins were not changing.

I will guess it was because they didn't make any proofs other than cents and nickels, though they did make a few proof SLQs from what I've read. Hmmm...

QUESTION:

Why were no proofs coined of the 1916 Barber Dime and Quarter?

ANSWER:

At that time the Mint would coin proofs only of those issues already made for circulation. No Barber silver was coined until mid-year, by which time the Mint was leaning toward dicontinuing proof coin sales altogether.

Sorry, no one has gotten the answer correct. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Thanks for playing and stop back next week for another question. Keep up the good work