• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the deal with "Obscured" sets?

3 posts in this topic

I just saw this today with a number of Saint sets that are "Obscured" so that no one can see what is even in the set. What is the point of this? And if someone wants a registry set but doesn't want the coins listed then why even have a registry set at all? sign-rantpost.gif

I still feel strongly that obscured sets are mainly an ego thing. Most of the reasons advanced for obscuring don't really hold water as every advanced collector knows how to pump their set up to a higher ranking, even without knowledge of the composition of competitive sets. I have done it many times back when I cared about such things. Many obscured sets are not even top sets, which makes it seem banal to obscure them.

IMHO, the only valid reason is in the case of a dealer building a very highly ranked set for a well known, wealthy client, who wishes to remain anonymous during the acquisition process. Much of the balance of this whole issue seems to revolve around a subtle form of snobishness.