• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best way to remove a coin from a slab ?

19 posts in this topic

Depends on what slab. NGC & ANACS you can hit each side 2-4 times with a hammer and it will fall apart.

For PCGS I use the claw end of the hammer to break off the top insert part of the slab and use a screwdriver to pry the bottom part apart. Just use extreme caution when doing this. Also, wear eye protection unless you think it's cool to be blind.

Get yourself a tile nipper, looks like a beefy pliers. Experiment working around the slab to see what works for you. If you are at all careful you should have no problem.

Watch out for flying plastic, and plan to vacuum up afterwards.

I have long thought that Mozin's idea of the tile nipper is the right idea.

60997-0000-3ww.jpg

However, I've long used a hammer on all four edges of any old slab with great success, except a SEGS slab - never tried one of those, and they look mighty daunting. sumo.gif

I used to use the method that Greg spoke of with PCGS slabs until I ruined a $250 coin in the process. Frankly, it was horrifying. And to make matters worse, I also wrecked a $20 coin getting it out of an NGC slab the same way. Each time, a slip of the screwdriver did the coin in. Gives me the willies just to think of it - worse than free-floating thoughts of jom. poke2.gif

Anyhow, the hammer makepoint.gif routine has done me well through many (200? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif) cracked coins, but I'd try the nipper first. yay.gif

Hoot

Hammers? Tile Nippers? Saws? What is WRONG with you people?

Clearly, a thermonuclear explosion is the way to go. Fast, efficent, cheap and easy. thumbsup2.gif

jom

I use a Dremel rotary tool or similar with a circular cutting wheel to separate the two halves of the case at the seam. I use safety glasses and modulate the speed to cut rather than melt the material.

I don't advocate brute force methods 893naughty-thumb.gif. An appropriate tool for the job is always preferable to risking injury to person or property.

893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Beijim

I've been using a hammer for years, with never a damaged coin. The biggest risk is jabbing a plastic shard into your skin, or worse yet, your eye! Wear safety glasses!! Also, wear a glove on the hand you are holding the slab with.

The hammer method is quick and easy, and probably requires the least financial investment in hardware. grin.gif

James

I also use a dremel and once I got the technique down found it to always work well. The trick is to keep the plastic from melting and thus re-welding itself. So I use a lower speed cut in stages. I can usually get a slab open in just a minute or two. Worked great on proof sets, too.

I use a piece of canvas to cover the edge and go around tapping it with a hammer. You dont have to hit it very hard and it only takes a few minutes to go all around the slab....coin lifts right out with minimal risk of damamge. Lots of little pieces of plastic to clean up though.

Here at NGC they just bounce them off my hard head. Works every time! makepoint.gif

David, that's a great idea! I've been trying to figure a way to crack an antique manhole cover out of it's slab. If you're at the FUN Show, can I bring it with me?

devil.gif

Chris

Here at NGC they just bounce them off my hard head. Works every time! makepoint.gif

David, that's a great idea! I've been trying to figure a way to crack an antique manhole cover out of it's slab. If you're at the FUN Show, can I bring it with me?

devil.gif

Chris

Have you already tried it on your own head? I think you'd win the thickness award wink.gif

I used to use the method that Greg spoke of with PCGS slabs until I ruined a $250 coin in the process. Frankly, it was horrifying.

It was probably a Jefferson nickel, so it's OK. However, if you point the end toward the edge of the slab (where the seal is), a slip is most likely to not hit the coin.

And to make matters worse, I also wrecked a $20 coin getting it out of an NGC slab the same way. Each time, a slip of the screwdriver did the coin in.

No screwdriver required for NGC slabs. They should crack in half with just a hammer.

Gives me the willies just to think of it - worse than free-floating thoughts of jom. poke2.gif

icon_vomit.gif

Gives me the willies just to think of it - worse than free-floating thoughts of jom. poke2.gif

icon_vomit.gif

Hey! I resemble...er...resent those remarks! mad.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

Other than the various explosions that can be used I just wrap the slab in a towel and hit it with a hammer (lightly...sort of). Seems to work for me.

However, if it's only a Jefferson nickel in the slab then placing it under a car tire and doing a "burn out" works great. thumbsup2.gif

jom

I use a c clamp or whatever the thing is called. However PCGS slabs seem to basicly explode with this method.

here is one

c-clamp.jpg

Excellent! insane.gif

I once saw Mark Feld reply to a thread like this and he said he just jumps up and down on the slab until it relents its seal. yay.gif He said that was his primary job at NGC for years sumo.gif until you guys figured out that hurling them at you, Dave, worked far better. I also heard that the hurling method was hit upon accidentally? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

hi.gif Mark.

Hoot